Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever?
Posted Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:45 am

tenjounokaze

tenjounokaze

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I know Halloween has already come and gone, but around that time, I was watching YouTube videos about how certain sites/people ranked some of the scariest games of all time, and I was wondering what everyone here on the boards thought! .hmmm.

You can rank your own top 3, top 5, top games/franchises, whatever - a simple (or detailed) reason why is much more convincing than just listing titles. I know this requires a little more time and effort, but c'mon - this is what message boards are for, right? .common.

Here is my Top 3:

1. The Fatal Frame series - Americans put gamers in the roles of dynamic and capable characters with a variety of weapons and techniques, and reward success with gratuitous violence and gore - Japanese horror games put gamers in the roles of timid, weak young girls and place them in haunted environments with evil ghosts and what do they give them as a weapon? A freaking polaroid...Are you serious? That is just NOT FAIR! .scared.

Case in point - if you've never heard of Fatal Frame, watch this trailer for the latest game on Wii (currently available only in Japan)

2. The Resident Evil series. The most classic and perhaps the most original survival-horror franchise is still the best - from angry crows and mutated Tyrants to Uroboros and chainsaw-wielding maniacs, almost every game in this series is just pure awesome.

3. The Silent Hill series (especially Silent Hill 2) - Two words: Pyramid Head. Oh yeah, the darkness, creepy riddles and psychotic characters don't help either.

Anyway, with that, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else thinks! .balloon.

独りきりなんて、人生勿体無い
Life's a waste if you're all alone. (SCANDAL, Everybody Say YEAH)
Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Blog_head2-1
Need help with Japanese? - Be sure to visit my Japanese thread: Class is now in session!
Back to top Go down

Re: Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever?
Posted Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:43 am

yurisaku

yurisaku

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
http://yurisaku14.blog.fc2.com
i dont really watch horror films so yeah XDD

Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Siggyresize
Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Stalkercopy
userbar by KaitoKid
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:53 pm

bigOeyez

bigOeyez

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Heh, it's uh, video games Yuri... Happy

For me I would go:

1. "Clock Tower" series

Although the series started waning near the end of the series, it's beginning was great because there were no such games like it at the time... You couldn't even control the character manually, so you end up mashing the "click" button in hopes that your character would run faster... HA HA!

CT 0-2 were indeed the best since it stayed true to it's original design, but CT 3 and Demento turned into an action thriller sort of... "Demento/Haunting Ground" isn't linked directly to CT, but fans noticed the similarities and took it under the title...

2. "Fatal Frame" series

Undoubtedly it would be my no.1 also, but I couldn't toss aside Clock Tower because of technological differences...

Likewise, you know firsthand why this series is so spooky, but I favor FF2 as the best in the series because the story was very dark and touching, the graphics are superb to FF1 and still best out FF3 (IMO), the overall atmosphere was just morbid... "I love it so much that I detest the Xbox release's new ending"... Part 3 was still good because Tecmo brushed up the lighting and gaming mechanics, but it lacked the intense story and complexity of part 2... ahh...

I'm still waiting for FF4's patch to be completed, but man, that thing has been stuck at 97% since forever... Is it done yet?

3. "Alone in the Dark" series

Like Clock Tower, the later releases in the series just kinda ran dry, but it scared the pants off me everytime I played it...

It doesn't look like much when you compare the super jagged pixelated everything to the super rendered environments of games today, but trust me, playing them as a child, in the dark, by yourself, you were constantly in fear as you tried to keep character alive when being attacked by polygon bad guys... HA HA!

4. "Resident Evil" series

Aside from the side titles, the main series is great!

I favor the fixed-camera style of 0-3 above the over the shoulder style of 4-5 because you were more likely to be cautious around a blind corner, than one where you can manipulate the camera to "peak" around it... "I felt pretty invincible when Capcom gave you the option to shoot a guy in the leg and run up to him to deliver a flip kick or whatever... HA HA!"

RE4 was revolutionary to the series since it was a good change of pace, but now it can't revert back to it's original form...

5. "Deception" series

Not necessarily a horror game, but I never liked dying in it, so it got my heart racing everytime I was cornered or ganged up by a couple of enemies...

It's basically a strategy based game designed by Tecmo, where you set up multiple traps in different rooms and kill the opposition before they kill you, so you'd have to use a lot of brains to set off a good chain... Part 1 was gut wrenching because it was in First Person and you were constantly running blindly without knowing if you're enemy was behind you or not, but you'd figure it out once your screen started flashing red or turn around to set off a trap and he turns out to be right in front of your face... heh...

Ah, there's plenty more from where that came from, but that's as much memories I could pull from my childhood for now... HA HA!

Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Shsig3
"Quitters fall down and stay down... Winners fall down and keep rolling"

"Drummers have stamina!!!" - Pedro Jimenez

"Oh! Ah you! Metal Boy!" - Rina
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:08 pm

tenjounokaze

tenjounokaze

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
bigOeyez wrote:
4. "Resident Evil" series

Aside from the side titles, the main series is great!

I favor the fixed-camera style of 0-3 above the over the shoulder style of 4-5 because you were more likely to be cautious around a blind corner, than one where you can manipulate the camera to "peak" around it... "I felt pretty invincible when Capcom gave you the option to shoot a guy in the leg and run up to him to deliver a flip kick or whatever... HA HA!"

RE4 was revolutionary to the series since it was a good change of pace, but now it can't revert back to it's original form...

I remember reading somewhere that Capcom is saying RE5 would be the last of the "action-survival-horror" that was introduced in RE4, and a return to more GC Resident Evil remake-survival horror will be given another chance maybe. Let's cross our fingers! .please.

独りきりなんて、人生勿体無い
Life's a waste if you're all alone. (SCANDAL, Everybody Say YEAH)
Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Blog_head2-1
Need help with Japanese? - Be sure to visit my Japanese thread: Class is now in session!
Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:44 am

Shiro_Kamisama

Shiro_Kamisama

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
im scared to play this type of games .fustrated.

Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? 215114_1626038691809_1261771604_31263146_1647591_n
Cutest cosplayer in ozine 2011

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:41 am

kiera917

kiera917

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
tenjounokaze wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that Capcom is saying RE5 would be the last of the "action-survival-horror" that was introduced in RE4, and a return to more GC Resident Evil remake-survival horror will be given another chance maybe. Let's cross our fingers! .please.

there is a new game actually...resident evil regeneration...it features jill and chris along with HUNK...it's for nintendo 3DS ...which is very dissapointing for my part coz they didn't port it to the wii Sad ..

for me... fatal frame is hell ..the scariest game i played, just thinking about it gives me chills, the game is scarier than the ring, well for me xD, although i'm not a big fan of it, i played the 1st fatal frame and hell i don't wanna play the game again for the 2nd time after i beaten it xD

second i'd go for Resident evil.. i REALLY REALLY love resident evil, resident evil 0 to code veronica are my favorites xD... of all the series..RE3:nemesis had to be number one on my RE list..mainly because friggin Nemesis is there. i mean i hate the feeling when my heart beats faster everytime i hear "stars" and everytime a selection screen pops up like "fight the monster?" or "enter the police station" .. i mean that just killed me when i first played it xD.and Nemesis's rocket launcher just annoys me =Dp the limited ammo supply and herbs make up the "survival" of the first RE games. and you get the feeling of isolation in the game which makes it scary. unlike in RE4 which had more action than horror, i gotta admit that first chapter of RE4 scared me like hell,.. i mean hello? the ganados are chasing you with chainsaws?! and there are blind soldiers with what, wolverine like weapons xD that slash your head off and don't get me started with the gattling gun wielding JJ ugh, first encounters with these bosses scared me, but in later parts they didn't seem to be as scary as before, ...and in the later parts, the feeling of being scared faded, but in chapter 5 the only scary part was the regenerator...friggin regenerator D: ...

Overall RE is my favorite game ever, but it's not as scary like fatal frame i'd say xD

gawd i've been waiting for a topic like this xD! .. i mean survival horror games are my life =Dp

Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Kierasig

by lale [=3
Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:37 am

bigOeyez

bigOeyez

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I think anyone who has played Fatal Frame would agree that it's one of the scariest series out right now...

Tecmo did one hell of a job to scare the pants of you with the combat system because I always get the chills when the ghosts disappear to a different locale while you're in camera mode, then I either barely shutter shot them before they attack me or I end up fumbling around while switching to 3rd person again... HA HA!

Oh, but Miku's Charge shot in FF3 dominates all!!!! I feel like Megaman everytime I use it!

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:17 am

xxYURIxx

xxYURIxx

Caless Student
Caless Student
Resident Evil and Silent Hill made me unable to sleep for days.... .waaa.

OTAKU YURI-IST
Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? 41352_155075107842407_100000197556048_518076_5381968_n
"True Friends: Houkago Tea Time will always be after school"
Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Untitled-1copy
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:41 pm

rock_chick

rock_chick

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
lol i love to watch people playing horror stuffs but i don't like playing it myself cos my cousins always scold me for being so slow when shooting zombies .bleh.
i'm such a noob.but i i'd probably like to try this fatal frame thingy.i normally played resident evil

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:57 pm

Jibba

Jibba

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
https://www.youtube.com/user/xJibba?feature=mhee
I don't really like horror stuff,

But there is this Japanese game for the I-Touch/iPhone, called Kowaii Oto (Kowa Oto)
http://buzzapp.jp/apps/387580482/KOWA-OTO/

Really gets your heart beating in a frenzy.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:06 pm

Plutonium

Plutonium

International Performer
International Performer
I played fatal frame back a long time ago.

I honestly, shat bricks.

Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Claris_signature_v3
Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:36 pm

gillian

gillian

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Fatal Frame and Silent Hill is the Scariest games i ever play, i even scare to sleep sometimes after finish play that games . . . .scared.

Rina is the only one
Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Ubd5011
my heart beat when Rina around
Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? 40753
Fill the Love
Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:36 pm

tomi-chan

tomi-chan

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
~i nver get the chance to play.. but i think.. it's silent hill Happy

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:56 am

~kc~

~kc~

International Performer
International Performer
Silent Hill for me, i remember those times, i really dont play that when i was alone in our house.

makes me feel like something's behind me Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? M194

Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Untitled

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:10 am

bigOeyez

bigOeyez

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Thumbs up to everyone on Fatal Frame! WOOT!

I just d-loaded the english patch for Fatal Frame 4 and finally got it running... SHIET IS SPOOKY!!!

The mechanics for the flashlight is a lil funky, but everything else is dead on!

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:17 am

Flamez678

Flamez678

Caless Student
Caless Student
Dora the explorer games on the PC..lol JK :p

but seriously Fatal frame series hands down it gives me that authentic Chill in the air that i get from watching Japanese horror films

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Mahaha

Mahaha

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
i would say Fatal Frame series and the Silent Hill series
Fatal Frame i would say ALLL of em are scary .
However , for Silent Hill , after Team Silent stopped making em , it seems less scary.

Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Rsz_1s11
Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:50 am

bigOeyez

bigOeyez

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
ah, you're right! I dropped out of Silent Hill after part 4 because the story just wasn't the same anymore and a lot of things just got dragged around... the releases after that were kinda "eh"... I guess Team Silent had a good storyline drawn out, but Konami dropped the ball in the end by switching developers over to the West... HA HA!

the best is SH3, Heather welding a katana!!! WOOT!!!

AND ONE MORE TITLE TO ADD!!! Siren!!! Total Spooksville!

Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? 58a84e851e55175d22158ca97af58a1f-Siren

good thing you mentioned Team Silent...

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:33 am

kaitoKid

kaitoKid

Administrator
Administrator
http://tinyurl.com/c9n8he4
Fatal Frame...get a controller down for me .scared.

Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Tumblr_mta3fgUJcJ1sh5mxqo1_250
Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:57 am

Tetsune

Tetsune

International Performer
International Performer
http://septianhary.deviantart.com/
hmmmm i think FATAL FRAME is the scariest game i ever play... .scared.

Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Signature-2

Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Ss2
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:31 am

serdic

serdic

SPAMMER
SPAMMER
fatal frame definitely=.=

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:09 am

Gallagher

Gallagher

Caless Student
Caless Student
Silent Hill 2 .scared. , this is just amazing how it's fear me .... with the music and the story ...I give up before the end xD (shame on me)

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:20 am

PFULMTL

PFULMTL

Caless Student
Caless Student
https://www.youtube.com/user/PFULMTL
Fatal Frame series for sure. My new favorite would be Metro 2033.

Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? 46365
Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:21 am

SL21

SL21

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
..I cannot sleep when I'm playing scary games...

..like Fatal Frame series... .wtf.

..Resident Evil series...

...Silent Hill... .scared.

.......I'm so scared... .waaa.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Scariest/Most Terrifying game ever? Rinasu16
I LOVE <3 SCaNDaL

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:51 am

haruna80

haruna80

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
fatal frame tops the list as well for me..but the first shock i get is playing Re1,
when in the begining chapter where the dogs jump out of the windows
suddenly, i threw my ps1 controller out of my room! lol.

recently i played uncharted drakes fortune, close to the ending part where those
mutated ppl came running ard chasing me, the feeling was lik when i started playing re1 many years ago..i totally unexpected these in a action adventure game.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2024 SCANDAL HEAVEN.