Go down

Your Most Favorite Non-Singles
Posted Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:48 am

TOMOmeow

TOMOmeow

International Performer
International Performer
https://instagram.com/thedapperrunner
Hi! I think someone has already posted a topic like this before but it was already locked long time ago. So, I am opening a new one.

Can you share with us your most favorite non-single songs by SCANDAL and why? Anything from their pre-debut EP to HELLO WORLD.

Here's my list in random order:

"Love in Action" from HELLO WORLD --- I enjoy listening to this song so much. This song sound great on vinyl played on a well-maintained vintage sound system. What's most appealing to me are the elements from the mid 70s progressive rock off-timing signatures.

"Ring!Ring!Ring!" from BEST SCANDAL --- Mami was oozing with rock n' roll seduction everytime she sings this. The doo-wop styled vocal harmony of Haruna and Tomomi are so impressive. I'd like to hear or watch Scandal rendering a lounge version of this song someday.

"24 Jikan Plus no Yoake Mae" from Awanai Tsumori no, Genki de ne single --- Tomomi was like screaming in bitterness on the second pre-chorus, the mere fact that the song was written by somebody else, LOL. Too bad, it was not included in their fifth album STANDARD.

"BURN!" from BABY ACTION --- I consider this as the darkest and most emotional song ever sung by Scandal. Rina seems that she something while writing its lyrics. While, Mami's guitar solo towards the end of the song is totally epic, which reminds me of Kim Thayil's solo on "Black Hole Sun" (song by Soundgarden). We need songs by SCANDAL with longer intrumentals like this. SCANDAL must perform this song again at their international shows.

How about yours? Happy

Last edited by MamiNoodles on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:29 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : replaced HELLO WORLD to YELLOW)

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Most Favorite Non-Singles
Posted Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:33 am

Lexian

Lexian

http://ask.fm/frozentheory
Right off the top of my head, Anata ga Mawaru: has a steady beat, easy to follow and sing along, great song for almost any occasion. Contains, to this day, my favourite guitar solo from Mami and I really like the back-and-forth between Haru and Tomo that happens a little bit afterwards. My "sleeper" pick in the sense that it has strong appeal despite not being one of SCANDAL's flashier songs.

Next would be, Rising Star: a song that'd I like to call a pseudo-LOVE SURVIVE for its upbeat tempo and higher rating on the pop/rock scale. I really like the bassline on this one; I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't find a cover on YouTube for it. Wink

Onegai Navigation: Arguably the flagship of HELLO WORLD. Everything sounds so right about this song. The fact that it's part of their latest (as of writing) releases seems to give it an edge over other songs. Really fresh.

Rounding out my favourite non-singles is Orange Juice. Shares similar musical elements to Anata ga Mawaru while advancing in some technical parts of their play in the 4 years since AgM. Good funk while still being relatively fresh.

If I the power, I'd make those 4 songs tour staples for all eternity!

PS. I never really thought about adding one piece. The whole "feels" factor ran the well dry, so to speak. If I was asked a few years back I'd consider it. Still a fantastic song and by no means would I purposely disregard it.

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:52 am

Metal Mickey

Metal Mickey

International Performer
International Performer
"Scandal Baby" for sure! It's an all time favorite of their fans and a must play live song.
I always wonder what would'd happened if "Scandal Baby" was released as their major label debut single? Debut single of an all girls rock band "Scandal" called "Scandal Baby"!

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:15 pm

flyingwill

flyingwill

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://rateyourmusic.com/~flyingwill
Ugh, this is such a hard question... I'll narrow it down to one song per album and a non-album b-side to make it easier.

Anata ga Mawaru from Best Scandal. I still don't understand how this song didn't make any strong impression on me on first listens. The opening guitar riff is so huge, the "papapapa" chant is so catchy, and the overall song just flows very well.

Aitai from Temptation Box. Fell in love with this song thanks to the Scandal vs Budokan DVD, and then fell in love again when I realized the awesomeness of the vocal melodies, especially those of the verses. Tomomi's parts are just soooooooooo lovely.

Appletachi no Dengon from Baby Action. One of the most under-appreciated songs of their whole discography IMO. Of course the brass arrangements are a bit surprising at first, but the songwriting is absolutely brilliant. This is also the song that made me realize what an amazing bass player Tomomi is. And of course I just love the bridge with the dreamy vocals.

Kill the Virgin from Queens Are Trumps. I have a strong Tomomi bias to begin with, and this song further cemented my adoration for her voice. The way she croons "koisuru otome riarisuto" and "aisuru kimi nihirisuto" OMG.

Kimi ni Shittochū from Encore Show. The one-two punch of this song plus "Hikare" is probably the main reason why I suddenly got a new-found interest in Scandal back in 2013. Up until then, I was really on the fence with them because of various (stupid) things, but when that song hit my eardrums I realized how wrong I may have been. Nothing has ever been the same since then.

Koi no Gestalt Hōkai from Standard. I still remember the exact I got the first time I listened to Standard, and when this song first popped out. I went completely bonkers and instantly knew that something had happened deep down inside me: I was now a proper Scandal fan.

Hon wo Yomu from Hello World. Being a Chatmonchy fan, this is surely the one among the new Hello World songs that made the strongest impression on me. It really shows how talented a songwriter Mami has become (along with the other wonderful songs she wrote for the album). Rina's opening drums also give me the chill by how powerful and natural they sound. 

But in all honesty I could have picked 6 other songs and the result would be just as gushing.

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:34 pm

hanautasancho

hanautasancho

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
I'll pick 5 that first popped out of my mind:

BURN - Definitely my most favorite SCANDAL song to date. Brilliantly-written lyrics. Superb melody. Loved the outro and the technicality of the song. The message of the song is somewhat nostalgic.

Weather Report - Second most favorite SCANDAL song. Simple, yet captivating. Loved Haru's vocals in this one. Lyrics and the message of the song is just brilliant. Want to hear this one live.

Sayonara My Friend - Very nostalgic, pretty much I could relate to the song. It has that high school-like vibe to the song just like Houkago 1H. I loved it more when Haru played it with an acoustic guitar and Tomo tearing up in the Temptation Box live. So much feels

Kan Biiru - My favorite from HELLO WORLD. Brilliant lyrics. Tomomi's held back vocals is perfect to the mood of the song. I really am biased on artists that hold back their vocals and still deliver the same quality of music. Tomo must really be a prodigy

Rainy - The song is somewhat like a leveled up edition of Shunkan Sentimental which is already a legend (from all the SCANDAL songs imo). Rina's drums suit the song perfectly. Haru's vocals are superb. Lyrics is also amazing.

There are still plenty more, non-singles that I like.

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:11 pm

metalleo

metalleo

International Performer
International Performer
http://www.leojhphoto.com/
I'll pick one from each album, although there are many more that I love.

BS - Kimi to Yoru to Namida - I don't really have a reason for liking this. I'm not really a fan of the style of the first album, so this song just stands out a bit more than the rest.

TB - Hi-Hi-Hi - That Budokan performance says it all.

BA - one piece - I love ballads, and rock ballads in particular give off a much different vibe than most other ballads which I really enjoy. And not to mention, that Wonderful Tonight performance always gets to me, especially that TOMOMI solo just before the final chorus.

QAT - Koe - Out of the MAMI solo songs that she has done, this one is easily the outstanding one, the song style suits her the best compared to the other songs she has solo-ed. One of my top 3 listens of this album along with QAT and ROCK'N ROLL

STANDARD - STANDARD - More than a year ago, I couldn't understand why people loved this song, it sounded pretty messy to me at that time. After that FESTIVAL performance, I can't stop listening to it. The style more or less embodies what SCANDAL is all about and all I love about them. What was I thinking 14 months ago?

HW - Onegai Navigation - As much as I would like to be biased and say Oyasumi, I must admit this song is pretty much the outstanding song of the album. Like lexian said everything just seems right about this song, and this song after Departure is easily my most played so far on this album.

Honorable mentions: SCANDAL BABY, Aitai, BURN, Queens are Trumps, ROCK'N ROLL, Bitter Chocolate, Orange Juice, Metronome, Hon wo Yomu (can't believe how much this song grew on me these few months)

Your Most Favorite Non-Singles 2d0ylnt
Asia Tour 2013 (Singapore) - 16/03/13
HELLO WORLD (Singapore) - 08/05/15
PERFECT WORLD (Budokan) - 12/01/16, 13/01/16
YELLOW (Singapore) - 04/06/16
10TH ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL (Osaka Izumiotsu Phoenix) - 21/08/16

Discovery of SCANDAL - 22/07/11
First SCANDAL Concert - 16/03/13
First Banner Chosen and Displayed On SH - 29/04/14
First SCANDAL Concert in Japan - 12/01/16
First Time to Photograph SCANDAL at a Concert - 04/06/16
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:33 pm

acquy1311

acquy1311

Caless Student
Caless Student
I like Scandal Baby, Runner High, Everybody say yeah.
Because it's meaningful and Mami's solo parts is awesome  .clap.

Your Most Favorite Non-Singles Scandal-20130503
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:57 pm

Ania

Ania

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
I try to choose from different album:

BS - Anata ga Mawaru & S.L. Magic - the first one had a very catchy opening and not to mention I really love the guitar solo here (even though guitar is not my favourite musical instrument). The second song...hmm...I don't know, it sounds really simple and maybe that's why I like it?

TB - Aitai & Sayonara My Friend - Love the sound in Aitai ~ love at first sight (or hearing in this case? xD). For Sayonara My friend, I loved the live performance from TB Tour. Haruna's voice were awesome there!

BA - BURN & one piece - the live performance says it all. Still having goosebump when watching it. Mami' solo was epic in BURN. Love the sincerity in Tomomi's voice in one piece.

QAT - ROCK'N ROLL & Bright - Loved the rock sound in the first song while Bright sound so soothing to me (very contrast right?) But seriously though, I think Bright is like one of underestimate songs of Scandal. It's really good!

STANDARD - Hachigatsu & Orange Juice - Been DYING to hear these two songs live!!! (Oh Scandal can you perform this live at any festival or something?? I want to hear!!) I loved the meaning in Hachigatsu, it's definitely about the member. Orange Juice (while the title had nothing to do with the lyrics), Tomomi sounded very good in this.

HW - Onegai Navigation & Rainy - like someone said above, Onegai Navigation, this song just seems right about this song. For Rainy, the instrument sounds awesome, Scandal did a great job for this song (especially that Arena Live!)

There are many more, but these are the one that pops into my mind right now...

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:53 am

Miyuki_Shiba

Miyuki_Shiba

Caless Student
Caless Student
For me Harukaze is the best song ever^_^

Your Most Favorite Non-Singles Search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1360&bih=643&q=Tomomi+Ogawa+tumblr&oq=Tomomi+Ogawa+tumblr&gs_l=img.3...730.14106.0.14272.25.23.0.0.0.0.1685.1685.8-1.1.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.61.img..24.1.1685.I62himNwqWk#imgdii=_&imgrc=lLrnPE-M2q7npM%253A%3BAYw-IG608bqhoM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fdata3.whicdn.com%252Fimages%252F61121602%252Flarge.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fweheartit
Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:33 pm

Lexian

Lexian

http://ask.fm/frozentheory
Miyuki_Shiba wrote:For me Harukaze is the best song ever^_^
In case you didn't know, Harukaze is actually one of their singles.
Are there any non-singles you like?

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:29 am

Star~world96®

Star~world96®

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Standard- The song is to awesome for words
Onegai Navigation & Metronome= both songs a really intense and Harunas voice is amazing in these two.
Rainy - I was really surprised when I listened to this song, the breakdown and guitar solo
Kagerou- Actually one of my favorite songs, the live version just makes the song even better.
Hon Wo Yomu&Koe- Mami sounds good in both these tracks, and I do like how one is more heavier while the other is upbeat and catchy.

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:34 pm

Bankai_Mami

Bankai_Mami

Caless Student
Caless Student
I'm sure there will be more when I buy more of their albums, but I have to say, their non single songs are epic. For the Hello World album, I think some of them should've been the singles.

Some of my favs are 
Standard - Epic as hell. It's just really different and exciting and probably should've been a single since they named the album after it as well.
Kagerou (was an indie single though) - That First Best Live performance makes me so emotional. It's probably the Scandal song that carries the most emotion for me. 
Anata ga mawaru - It seems sort of fun from one angle, but from another angle it makes me quite emotional and is a really driving rock tune too with an epic retro solo in there that I love to watch in the First Best Live video. Best Scandal already had enough great singles though.
Onegai Navigation - I loved this so much I was slightly outraged that it wasn't a single. I would've swapped this for Yaoke no Ryuuseigun any day. I think not having this as a single was a really stupid move.
Hon wo Yomu - Who thought a song about reading could be so good? Really well composed and sung by mami (really impressed by her vocal here) with it's unique style that makes me really happy.
Aitai - Emotional and well written.
Hi Hi Hi - So much energy it has me jumping around it drives the album. Good bass action.
GirlisM - Really badass driving rock song. 

I love this thread, really want to listen to 24 Jikan Plus no Yaoke, BURN and Rainy now. And I want to buy a load of singles for the sake of their B-sides, which is pretty stupid.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:51 am

TOMOmeow

TOMOmeow

International Performer
International Performer
Here's my honorable mention:

"Koi no Kajitsu" from Yah! Yah! Yah! Hello Scandal EP --- Another single-worthy song which failed to make it to their debut studio album. I just knew just last year that Mami sang the pre-chorus line. Too bad, we could no longer hear "Koi" live because SCANDAL is already too matured for this song.

"Bitter Chocolate" from Queens are Trumps: Kirifuda wa Queen --- A good pop rock song with pretty complex riffs. The vibe reminds me of the post-grunge hits from 1996-97 and Never Say Die era of Black Sabbath.

"Everybody Say Yeah" from Temptation Box --- Another great live staple, perhaps Scandal's greatest song so far. The time signature is quite similar yet a bit more uptempo to "Departure".

Last edited by MamiNoodles on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:45 pm; edited 4 times in total

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:01 pm

Bankai_Mami

Bankai_Mami

Caless Student
Caless Student
Bloody hell, just listened to Burn for the first time (don't have Baby Action yet). OMFG it is the most epic thing. I really wish I'd known to vote for that for their tour now. That guitar part is just so epic it's too much for words.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:56 pm

ikimaru

ikimaru

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
@Ania yes on Bright! Definitely underrated I was wondering if I was the only one enjoying it lol. fell in love with it the moment I listened to the preview of it on YouTube. we have pretty similar taste though, high five malaysian!  Peace Onion

others on my list:

Hitotsu Dake & S.L .Magic from BS, Hello Hello & Aitai from TB, Tokyo Skysraper One Piece from BA, ROCK'N ROLL & Koe  from QAT, STANDARD from STANDARD, Onegai Navigation & Hon Wo Yomu from HW.

yeah lots to choose from, I would list the whole Temptation Box if I was allowed to

Your Most Favorite Non-Singles Tumblr_nn1ru9pUnj1thskuvo2_250
Back to top Go down

Posted Sun May 03, 2015 2:20 pm

Ania

Ania

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
@ikimaru
*High Five* Yes! I'm not the only one :D

I want to add a little bit:

Tokyo Skyscraper - been listening to this song for a while. I cant believe how good this song is.

Emotion -  Another one of their underestimate songs. It is quite emotional for me and his song is quickly growing on me.

Hi! Hi! Hi! - I was really surprised when the bass solo came in. Tomomi looks really awesome when playing this part.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon May 04, 2015 9:21 pm

eehbes

eehbes

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Hon wo Yomu - i like the way Mami sings here. 
Weather Report  - after reading the lyrics, I realized that it was quite a depressing song
Oyasumi - Because Rina.
Right here - Sounds like Semi-Charmed Life :D
Queens are trumps - I like the heavy metal feel

Your Most Favorite Non-Singles XoxLbEh
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu May 07, 2015 6:43 pm

Star~world96®

Star~world96®

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I also wanna add Want You,-it's a really cool garage rock song that I'm surprised they don't perform live more often. and the fact that Mami wrote made me really think she's capable of created great songs in the future.. and guess what she did. Plus it's one of my favorite songs. .love.
And Koi no Gestalt houkai = a deep heavy rock track that I can't help Bob my head to everyone I listen to it cuz the beat is so addicting.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 29, 2015 1:53 am

JR_Grimes

JR_Grimes

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
https://www.instagram.com/jr_grimes/
Kimi To Yoru To Namida - This To Me Is One Of Their Best Songs Ever, There Is So Much Emotion In This Song And You Feel It Without Even Knowing The Lyrics ( Looked Them Up Later ). Sad That I Can't Find A Videos Of Them Playing This Song Live.

START - This Song Has A Completely Feel From Others, It Really Shows That Haruna Is The True Lead Vocalist Of The Band. She Show's Her Ability To Hit A Lot Of Different Notes Especially A Spacy Song Like This. Also, Sad That I Can't Any Songs Of Them Playing This Song Live.

Your Most Favorite Non-Singles G8xw2Sx
Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:46 pm

GibsonPhoenix

GibsonPhoenix

Caless Student
Caless Student
Uugh, let's do this per album. Scandal has a lot of track with more potential than some of the singles they released. I don't know how common this is in Japanese music culture, but singles in western culture usually are overly produced to reach high sales. Most non-single tracks are far less commercialized, in my opinion.

SCANDAL BABY - Obviously, this one is sort of their signature track (in my opinion, plus it was the first one I've heard). The riff is simple yet brilliant. The whole song has a 'sing-along' kind of vibe to it.

Houkago 1H - This one was probably the hardest to decide on. Temptation Box has a lot of great track. The whole album to me feel like a high-school music club, which is amazing. This song just takes it to the top 

Sparkling - I LOVE tomomi's bass-line on the chorus. It is catchy, yet somehow soppy. This one kind of my 'embarrassing favorite track'

Rising Star - When I first heard it, this one reminded me of sparkling. There is a similar bass line. Very nice opening.

Brand New Wave - The intro feels very classy. The rest of the song reminds me of the summer. Though if I remember correctly, I first listened to it during the winter.

Love in Action - One of their new amazing tracks. That part in the chorus were they sing 'Love in Action' feels very good. The song became even more amazing to me, when they started their shows on the Hello World tour with it.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:05 pm

TOMOmeow

TOMOmeow

International Performer
International Performer
My new favorites:

"Hoshi no Furu Yoru Ni" from Shunkan Sentimental single --- Correct me if I am wrong but I consider this as heavy metal like the late 70s sound of Motorhead.

"Hi! Hi! Hi!" from Temptation Box --- The only Scandal song I know that has a bass solo. Tomomi was like John Entwistle meets Flea on her bass solo. The song structure reminds me of "Dizzy" by Goo Goo Dolls with some funky feel a-la Red Hot Chili Peppers. Also, switching from pick playing to slapping back to pick playing is really hard (coming from a former bass player myself).

"Love in Action" from Hello World --- I personally consider this as their first attempt to play a progressive rock song.

Last edited by MamiNoodles on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:47 am

Af8!

Af8!

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Here are just a few of mine(not in any order):

"Bright" from QAT is suuuch a soothing song, it used to bring me to tears actually. And that doesn't happen to often. It just has a calming feel to it for any time, and it's a nice song to play.

"Kagerou"(it's an indie, so does it really count?) is probably my top SCANDAL song. I absolutely adore this song, and the emotion that is in each live performance. I love the Budokan performance, but the ZEPP TOKYO perf is probably tied as my favorite.

"Graduation" from HELLO WORLD is one of my favorites of the album, along with "Hon wo Yomu". For "Graduation" Haru's vocals really make the song, and the bass line is so amazing, it was like my instant fave. My Mami bias kicks in for "Hon wo Yomu" but besides that it really is a catchy song with fun lyrics. About books. LOL.

"Appletachi no Dengon" and "Tokyo Skyscraper" from BABY ACTION; Appletachi gets me all energized, and I feel like smiling when playing it. And the bridge part is so pretty. And right before the chorus music starts when Haru says "mada giragira" brings me up to like 100%. For Tokyo Skyscraper it really is a pretty song, and Timo's bass solo steals the whole show.

"Hello!Hello!" is definitely one of my recent faves. I don't know, but somehow it's really powerful and it just makes you feel all happy inside but at the same time you feel a little sad...it's melancholy.

"STANDARD", "Orange Juice", and "8-gatsu" from STANDARD. All great songs. STANDARD is such a fun to listen to you like you feel jumping around and head banging lol. Orange Juice is a cute little song, and Timo's vocals are nice to listen to here. 8-gatsu is a nice song about the band's early days, and the part after the solo with Mami and Haru is really pretty. 

So yeah, really I could make a whole list about all of SCANDAL's songs and say why they're good. But I won't. Honorable mentions: Koe, Koi no Kajitsu, Koi no Gestalt Houkai, BURN(Budokan.), One Piece, SCANDAL BABY(ZEPP TOKYO encore. Mami's improv was really good. When I first got into SCANDAL I thought that was how the song actually went, so I was disappointed with the recording.), and Kimi to Yoru no Namida.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:12 am

marcoatendido

marcoatendido

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
https://www.youtube.com/user/hoyhoyhoymarco
Probably Cute! and Right Here

Especially Right Here. Idk why, maybe I haven't come across the right posts, but I feel like this song doesn't get enough love  Sad

Your Most Favorite Non-Singles HO2yovn

2016 J-POP IDOL WINNER
CHECK OUT MY PERFORMANCE IN FRONT OF SAISAI:
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:00 pm

hana_no_koi

hana_no_koi

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Well, most favorite non-single song ever has to be Koe!!

I really love to hear Mami's voice singing in my ear. Plus the sound if the song is really good. And also the lyrics are really good for the song. They touch my heart deeply, and they make me a little emotional. Which this is one of the very few songs that do.

Your Most Favorite Non-Singles Standa16
Stay Standard My Friends   .cool.
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:39 pm

Mamiisthebest

Mamiisthebest

International Performer
International Performer
https://www.scandal-heaven.com/u14464
Burn, Graduation, Flashback No. 5, and Rising Star. I could explain why, but I'm reallylazy right now... -_-

.love.
Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum