Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models
Posted Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:17 pm

wildthing

wildthing

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Back to conversation about Haruna's strap, I was just at Best Xmas so I managed to get a good look at Haruna's white leather strap under some good lighting, it is the Fender distressed white strap! I think it was due to the music video and TV lighting we thought it looked smooth, it was not!

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:55 pm

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
http://stomachofchaos.com
wildthing wrote:Back to conversation about Haruna's strap, I was just at Best Xmas so I managed to get a good look at Haruna's white leather strap under some good lighting, it is the Fender distressed white strap! I think it was due to the music video and TV lighting we thought it looked smooth, it was not!

Looks like I don’t have to put it on eBay now.

Grin

Will edit my post. Thanks for confirming, mate.

SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 SCANDALCOLLE-2020-SIG

~ CHECK OUT MY 「感謝祭」ŌSAKA 2018 VIDEO! 見てください!  ~

16-17/3/13 *SCAPE Warehouse | SIN • 29/1/15 たましんRISURUホール | 立川市、日本 • 31/1/15 ベイシア文化ホール | 前橋市、日本 • 26/4/15 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 12-13/1/16 日本武道館 | 東京、日本 • 10/9/16 Melkweg | AMS • 17/9/16 Szene | WIEN • 24/9/16 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 10/6/18 MacPherson Stadium | HK • 10-11/11/18 ZEPP Ōsaka Bayside | 大阪、日本
Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:45 pm

wildthing

wildthing

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
For strap locks, yep Haruna using Schaller type, Mami is using Jim Dunlop 7007 looking type, shockingly it didn't seem Timo have any locks tonight as far as I can tell!

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:53 pm

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
wildthing wrote:For strap locks, yep Haruna using Schaller type, Mami is using Jim Dunlop 7007 looking type, shockingly it didn't seem Timo have any locks tonight as far as I can tell!

I’m surprised HARU went for the chrome Schallers and not tried to match the gold on her Tele. Not following that for mine.

16-17/3/13 *SCAPE Warehouse | SIN • 29/1/15 たましんRISURUホール | 立川市、日本 • 31/1/15 ベイシア文化ホール | 前橋市、日本 • 26/4/15 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 12-13/1/16 日本武道館 | 東京、日本 • 10/9/16 Melkweg | AMS • 17/9/16 Szene | WIEN • 24/9/16 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 10/6/18 MacPherson Stadium | HK • 10-11/11/18 ZEPP Ōsaka Bayside | 大阪、日本
Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:56 pm

wildthing

wildthing

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
oh yeah totally forgot to read the articles in Guitar Magazine properly.

re: Haruna's lock, all it says is "for intense performance, lock pins have been fitted (only on her guitar)"
re: Pickups, its because recently she wanted "clean" and "crunch" sound.

re: Mami, in the interview she mentions, she mentions about writing different parts for Haruna and her guitar parts, so she wanted the sound of Haruna and her own guitar to be to sound separate/different. For her guitar she also mentioned that for many people the Japan made fender guitar are popular for many people as their "first guitar", so she thought about people will use it for a long time and will decide on the guitar by the sound/tone. She wanted to pick the colour similar to Gibson's ES-335's cherry red. Wear and tear and as it changes in colour over 10-20 years it should look cooler. She personally choose the maple neck for her preference, another reason is that rosewood wouldn't work well with her sweaty hands (she jokes).

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:19 am

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
wildthing wrote:Wear and tear and as it changes in colour over 10-20 years it should look cooler. 

Finished in poly, though, it's probably not going to look any different.

I've got a red poly-finished Jazzmaster that's about 10 years old; looks the same as the day I got it. Some people like poly for that reason, others don't.

When poly does wear, it tends to just flake off in chunks. It doesn't change color much and it doesn't rub through like a nitro-finished guitar would. Tomomi's got a bass or two that look like they're finished in poly because they do have some chunks taken out of them. In fact she seems to be a lot harder on her guitars than Haruna or Mami; I've never seen any obvious wear on any of their guitars. (Though Haruna's chrome pickup covers do look pretty beat up sometimes.)

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:54 am

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
spacecadet wrote:
wildthing wrote:Wear and tear and as it changes in colour over 10-20 years it should look cooler. 

Finished in poly, though, it's probably not going to look any different.

I've got a red poly-finished Jazzmaster that's about 10 years old; looks the same as the day I got it. Some people like poly for that reason, others don't.

When poly does wear, it tends to just flake off in chunks. It doesn't change color much and it doesn't rub through like a nitro-finished guitar would.

I makes me wonder if MAMI's 'wishlist' for what her signature Strat should be like went unheeded in their discussions with Fender, then again, all of the Fenders made in Japan (traditional nor hybrid series) are finished in poly, according to their site. Even AVRIs made in the US currently have this "Fender Flash Coat Lacquer" on them.

MAMI prolly need to play her Strat like Pete Townsend should she wish to see some roadworn effect real quick.

Grin

Just by the by, I have a Daphne Blue MiM Fender 50s Classic Strat with an MN7xxx serial number making it a 1997 built, so it's 20 years old now. This guitar lives in Malaysia where humidity is similar to the peak of a Japanese summer, and this humidity lasts the whole year as we have an equatorial climate. I'm sure it's also a poly and whilst it doesn't have the thinned worn effect of a real old guitar in nitro, you cannot deny the tint of the colour changes - my guitar has almost transformed into seafoam green lol. Perhaps MAMI will get her wish in 20 years - a Fiesta Red transformation probably? Anyways, the photo on the top is a Google-searched photo of a Daphne Blue finish and my 50s Classic Strat is on the bottom, in full profile - and you have to believe me, no filter was used here.

SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 IMG_1641
SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 IMG_1642

Back to topic - as expected, still no way forward with my shipment. So much so, the Fender black tolex case I ordered online a few days ago have arrived last night. Just wishing the shipment will be cleared by UK Customs soonish for it to arrive tomorrow at the very least.

So not happening.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:49 am

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
kudo_maharizu wrote:
I makes me wonder if MAMI's 'wishlist' for what her signature Strat should be like went unheeded in their discussions with Fender, then again, all of the Fenders made in Japan (traditional nor hybrid series) are finished in poly, according to their site. Even AVRIs made in the US currently have this "Fender Flash Coat Lacquer" on them.

There are some Japanese models that use nitro (the "VSP" or "Vintage Spec" models) and some US models that use poly (the "American Professional" series is one example), but generally nitro is more expensive and that's my guess as to why Fender Japan didn't do it with these.

The old Squier models also had some minor differences vs. the bands' original specs and the guitars they actually played. Just like in that case, I kinda doubt the band is playing production models, but instead had theirs custom made. So Mami's own guitar might really have a nitro finish. But that would probably jack the price up on the production guitar by $400.

I'll be curious to see what her new signature guitar looks like in a few years - it should be pretty obvious what finish it has depending on how it wears. (I'll bet her black Strat is actually finished in poly because it has basically no wear!)

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:27 am

Metal Mickey

Metal Mickey

International Performer
International Performer
My buddy is a "Fender" guy. All his Fenders are USA made. He is not the only person who told me you won't get a Fender sound unless it's a MIA Fender. None of them can tell how but say it's a secret keep by Fender America. Maybe the nitro finish is part of the reason?

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:06 pm

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
My shipment was available to collect yesterday morning, with a price tag attached to it, thanks to the taxman (enough to buy you a MiM Standard Strat I think). Been down with and recovering from the manflu, so, forgive me if it's just photos. Besides, ryoko did a good job with the bares-all review in a previous posting.

SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 IMG_8357

A few quick comments:

1. I love the tone on the Tele unplugged. But please let it not be the second time I prefer HARU to MAMI's guitar... Sorry
2. The pallor of the somewhat unfinished look to the satin maple neck shouts 'fresh from the factory'. The last time I had a neck this pale was on my 2000 MiM Jazz bass and it took ten years for it to have some colour to it.
3. Shoddy soft cases for a sig guitar bearing the Fender name. The Squier sigs bought from Kitty (the one with the SCANDAL logo) had better padding.
4. Despite the specs provided, both guitars were strung with D’addario strings.

SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 IMG_8358

I'll put this on when I feel better. They do have it in gold, HARU... jk jk. Will run them both on the amp soon-ish. Hey, I have waited 17 days for them, I can wait for a few more days. Going to bed now to continue nursing the manflu. Woe is me...

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:57 pm

mbowie4321

mbowie4321

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFFGF9eCrouGyWhIrVhR8Mw?view_as
kudo_maharizu wrote:I'll put this on when I feel better. They do have it in gold, HARU... jk jk. Will run them both on the amp soon-ish. Hey, I have waited 17 days for them, I can wait for a few more days. Going to bed now to continue nursing the manflu. Woe is me...

Feel better.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:12 am

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Metal Mickey wrote:My buddy is a "Fender" guy. All his Fenders are USA made. He is not the only person who told me you won't get a Fender sound unless it's a MIA Fender. None of them can tell how but say it's a secret keep by Fender America. Maybe the nitro finish is part of the reason?

There are people who go a little too far with that. I have guitars in a variety of finishes (nitro, polyurethane and polyester) and I don't think the finish does a thing to the sound of the guitar. If it does, it is such a small part of it that it's not worth worrying about because there are so many other aspects of a guitar that affect the sound more. Pickups are the main thing in any electric guitar. Then the bridge, the nut, the strings, the tremolo or tremolo block (in a Strat), the electronics including the pots and switches, the wood... maybe *then* the finish. But by then, you're down to maybe 1% of the tone, so if you want to change that tone, just make some other choice in that long list.

The finish is almost 100% cosmetic if you ask me; it's got nothing to do with sound. And that's just down to personal preference. I personally prefer nitro, but I wouldn't *not* buy a guitar just because it's finished in polyurethane or polyester - like I said, I have several that are.

Probably my second favorite guitar that I own is my Japanese Jazzmaster, which is finished in polyurethane.

So I don't see it as any problem that these are finished that way. I just think they're not going to wear like Mami hopes. Maybe hers will, if hers is finished in nitro, but the production guitars won't. The production guitars will look like new forever, unless they're really played hard. Then the paint will flake and chip off.

Poly-finished guitars *can* change color over time, it just takes longer and isn't as dramatic as nitro. So maybe it'll happen to these, but it's kind of subtle when it does happen to poly.

Anyway, I personally think these are really nice looking guitars. They're just a little too expensive for me this time around.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:09 pm

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
Gold Schallers installed on HARU, along with the white Fender leather strap.

SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 IMG_8367

The Chopper T kicks serious ass - nice cleans, but is born to sound dirty. Once I have some time, I'll post a couple of short soundbites for both the Tele and Strat.

Grin

UPDATE 1.2.18

No time to do a proper miked soundbite. Here’s a 1-minute iPhone taster of the MAMI Strat:

I’ve been playing this MAMI strat a lot this past couple weeks, and despite my initial favour for the HARU tele, I have to echo ryoko’s comment on the strat feeling well balanced. I run my MAMI strat thru a lunchbox 15w Marshall DSL15H x a 2X12 Marshall cab (the cheapest one lol). What I love about single coils on a strat is even with Marshall ultra gain channel has the gain at 12 o’clock, the crisp “jangle” (I am not sure how to describe this any better) is still discernible behind the kerranggg! of the hi gain. The hotter Texas pups sings. I only have a MiM Classic 50s strat to compare it with, but I really like the clarity on the Texas pups on her. IMHO, I wouldn’t change them as if it ain’t broke, why fix it.

I am in the process of doing something on the MAMI strat, and hope to provide a better soundbite.

Grin

Fender Pro Series tweed case for the tele:

SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 IMG_8472

MAMI's got a black Fender tolex one. It looks like a red guitar on black plush - you don't really need a photo for that. lol

Back to top Go down

Fender MAMI Strat soundbite
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:29 pm

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
Soundbite of my Fender MAMI Strat.

This time miked, and with a band!

https://www.scandal-heaven.com/t14224-the-20th-shcb-project-over

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:35 pm

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
A year (kinda) has passed and I thought of completing the collection. So, I made enquiries to Ikebe-gakki about TOMOMI's Precision bass, but forgetting one major issue.

If you are a guitar player who's into buying guitars from abroad, you will be aware of the ban on the import of rosewood. Technically you still can but there's a lot of red tape. The reason for the ban is understandable - to protect the now diminishing rosewood on the planet, but the ban is aimed for imports of large items of rosewood especially furniture, and you wouldn't think the ban would affect a smaller amount on a guitar neck.

To cut a long story short, unfortunately the store had to decline my request as the ban had been enforced in Jan 2017 - which probably meant I (and any of us) couldn't have bought the bass when it came out anyway. Unless you live in Japan.

Wahhh!

Further info on the rosewood ban on andertons.com:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/cites-law-guitarists

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:34 am

wildthing

wildthing

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
In Hong Kong Haruna/Tomomi's Signature Fender easier to find, then Tomomi's bass.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:53 am

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
wildthing wrote:In Hong Kong Haruna/Tomomi's Signature Fender easier to find, then Tomomi's bass.

You mean MAMI. Obviously because of their maple fingerboard/neck.

Imagine if the CITES enforced ban existed in 2014... we wouldn’t be able to even buy Bluetus or MAMI’s JM / “Stratomaster”.

Gahh

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:25 am

wildthing

wildthing

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
kudo_maharizu wrote:
wildthing wrote:In Hong Kong Haruna/Tomomi's Signature Fender easier to find, then Tomomi's bass.

You mean MAMI. Obviously because of their maple fingerboard/neck.

Imagine if the CITES enforced ban existed in 2014... we wouldn’t be able to even buy Bluetus or MAMI’s JM / “Stratomaster”.

Gahh

Actually I did mean Tomomi's Bass is harder to find, probably less demand for Bass guitars, but not sure if these were official exports or not though.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:13 am

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
Following my post above ( https://www.scandal-heaven.com/t14091p50-scandal-s-signature-fender-models#760581 ) - despair had turned to joy when the possibility of acquiring the TOMOMI Precision bass became reality.

Grin

SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 IMG-5897
SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 IMG_5898
SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 IMG_5899
SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 IMG-5844

Comes with d'Addario strings and I love the neck's Jazz profile. I didn't get to test the bass personally but I have been told she plays beautifully. Will do a quick soundbite when I bring her back home. I bought this Fender bass case 2nd hand on eBay (love the red lining), as the bass comes with a very thin guitar case not worthy of using.

Reading more into the CITES ruling on rosewood, travelling with the guitar (provided that it's not loads of guitars w/ rosewood) isn't an issue. https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/a-guide-to-the-cites-law-on-rosewood-guitars/?fbclid=IwAR2TA4VGR1RNRvQuHD8jGxCR1AgU14WjhyqNHf0Hk0ophvrgjMfavTmu4HU

To any SH members in Malaysia/Singapore, this store still carries all SCANDAL Fender and Squier (much to my surprise) signature guitars (except for Bluetus). The prices are pretty OK, as the store marks the Japanese MSRP up by approximately USD200 considering one doesn't have to (1) travel to Japan, or (2) pay import duty and courier fees.

UPDATE 25.2.2019

TOMOMI has safely travelled in the plane's cargo hold (I don't wanna know how the baggage handlers were like at the transit airport). I had the case wrapped in bubble wrap/plastic - more of a if the case was opened in transit, I would know.

SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 027-F90-DB-0-BA9-4-D7-D-8-B10-6-E6618-D69-C34

I did loosen the strings a tad, and everything seems fine. I've even done a small mod - replacing the stock strap pins with the new/current version Schaller S-locks. And of course tested her plugged to my Behringer amp. Nice playability and tone - to my non-bassplayer fingers.

Happy.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:36 pm

Touru

Caless Student
Caless Student
I am looking for a Tele, so I did a bit research,
Haruna tele and Richie tele really are not the same.
But anyway, IMO Deluxe Nashville Tele beats them all.

Haruna vs Richie Kotzen
===============================================
Price
¥150,800 vs $1500(sweetwater price)
(~$1400 VS $1500)

Number of Frets
21 vs 22

Neck Shape
"U" vs Large "C"

Fret Size
Vintage vs Jumbo

Fingerboard Radius
7.25" vs 12"

Controls
Master Tone vs Series/Parallel Rotary Switch
===============================================

thoughts:
tbh, 21 frets is a huge let down.
I dont how big the large C neck is, it sounds like larger than standard neck?
Anyway, U neck is bigger than standard neck.
Plus 7.25" radius, honestly I dont understand why Haruna chose this neck profile,
I mean, her hands are pretty small.

Jumbo fret + 12" radius is better for string bending.

Series/Parallel Rotary Switch is not that useful,
I will take master tone over rotary switch any day.

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:08 am

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
The SCANDAL sig guitars weren't meant to be the best guitars ever, so there will be other guitars that will/may sound/play better.

Grin

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Touru

Caless Student
Caless Student
kudo_maharizu wrote:The SCANDAL sig guitars weren't meant to be the best guitars ever, so there will be other guitars that will/may sound/play better.

Grin
Not saying they have to be the best guitars.
Just imagine:
1. bought Scandal sig guitars
2. realized that you need a 22 fret guitar for Yoake no Ryuuseigun

This is no fun yamete .omg.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:02 pm

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
Any SCANDAL guitar fan worth his/her salt shouldn't be that disappointed if they spent money on HARU or MAMI's signature guitars as they would/should know the band has more than their signature guitars to be used when making their music, eg MAMI's main "Ice cream" HSS strat (she used this for YnR at SCAFest in 2016), Gibbo LP and Gretsch White Falcon, as well as HARU's Fender Pawn Shop Mustang Special all have 22 frets, and the lasses are known to use other guitars that aren't theirs in the studio (see this as an example - https://www.scandal-heaven.com/t8880p100-mami-s-gear#737184 ).

Buy a sig SCANDAL axe, and have a 22-fret "SCANDAL" guitar as well. Done!

Grin

Back to topic - guitarspotting post wrt MAMI's gear.

MAMI is using golden locking strap buttons on her sig cherry Strat now, having gotten rid of those triangular plastic monstrosities!

SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 Screenshot-2019-10-14-at-21-58-21
SCANDAL's Signature Fender Models - Page 3 70259652-2407529939462621-4876085678342930432-n

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:33 pm

wildthing

wildthing

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
I purchased Haruna's at full price on day 1 release.
Mami's for 110,000 (inc tax) during a sale period I think it was last spring.
and just managed to nab Tomomi's bass for around 110,000 (inc tax)

From what I can tell some stores started to run out of Haruna's, then Tomomi's, then Mami's
so do keep an eye out on the sales if you want a discount.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:32 am

peaceharu

peaceharu

Caless Student
Caless Student
the store where i ordered my Haru Tele told me that Fender Japan will discontinue these sig models at the end of the year, have any of you guys heard this? can't find a trustworthy source  .lol.

anyways, my guitar hasn't arrived yet due to multiple lockdowns in Japan  .shy. 
ETA is still kinda blurry

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2024 SCANDAL HEAVEN.