Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Does SCANDAL write their own music?
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:57 am

syakmp

syakmp

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Hmmm... Sorry to bump an old topic, but most of these lyrics are credited as a member with another lyricist. I'm wondering now; how much does a member actually write in a song and how much does this other person actually contribute? If you look though, most of the songs always have the member written before the other lyricist; does this mean that the members themselves had more of a hand in writing them and such in comparison to the other person? Your thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:41 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
ichiruki! wrote:If you look though, most of the songs always have the member written before the other lyricist; does this mean that the members themselves had more of a hand in writing them and such in comparison to the other person? Your thoughts?

I don't think there's any way to say for sure, but my guess is that the band members usually start out with a lyrical idea or a verse or chorus, and then a "helper" comes in and helps them finish it in a way that they think will make for a hit song. The office they work for would have a lot of people available for just that purpose. In the US, that would usually be the role of the producer and they would most often go uncredited - many American artists are credited with writing their own music and lyrics when the producer really does most of it. But in Japan, being in a professional band is more of an acknowledged collaboration between many people, so they give credit to pretty much anyone who does anything.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:35 pm

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

HaRuRiNaMaMiToMo

International Performer
International Performer
Old thread but i was looking for more information about the songs so thanks for the information posted !

Now i have to say it's really cool that each members writes some lyrics and not just one even if Tomomi seems to be the lead lyrics writer (so to speak ^^).

But i have to say i'm a bit disappointed about the music writers ! I thought that a lot of the music would come from the girls but it seems they have nothing to do with the music at all ?! I thought (i don't know why but it's like that) that Mami/Tomomi would be the ones creating the music. But it seems the music comes from other musicians from the staff ?

So if i get this right, someone creates a music/song and then the girls can write the lyrics if they are inspired/creative ? Or maybe the other way around, they write some cool lyrics (with some help most of the times) and then the musicians from their staff/label writes the melody ?

Well not that it's bad, in the end what matters is that the songs are great, but still a bit surprised/disapointed to learn that the girls have nothing to do officially with the creation of the melody/music. Or maybe i didn't understand it right and it's not that easy when it comes to writing songs.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:07 am

baymon

baymon

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
^^ Well, considering how they started not knowing how to play instruments at all (except Rina who learned piano since young), it's understandable that it takes a bit more time to compose music.

Btw, Rina also compose music for "Bitter Chocolate" from Queens are Trumps album, which is one of my favorite Scandal song (it's really a nice ballad!! .smile. ), so it's a great improvement. I'm sure slowly they will write more and more music.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:50 am

sillentdx

sillentdx

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

@baymon Mami was a drummer before Scandal

btw

Lyrics:
Every song composed by a member (totally alone, or with the help of the other members or with some other musican, NOT COUNTING DOBONDOBONDO AND ALMOND CRUSH SONGS) beside "Namida no Regret", "Scandal Nanka Buttobase", "Kimi ni Shittochuu", "Welcome Home", "Pin Heel Surfer", "Sono Toki, Sekai wa Kimi Darake no Rain", "Kill the Virgin", "Koe", "Right Here", "Awanai Tsumori no, Genki de ne" and "24 Jikan Plus no Yoake Mae".

Lyrics (totally alone, or with the help of the other members or with some other musican):

* Tomomi (25): "Space Ranger", "Kagerō", "Doll", "Sakura Goodbye", "Shōjo S", "BEUTeen!", "Taiyō to Kimi ga Egaku Story", "Switch", "Pride", "Satisfaction", "Scandal Baby", "Anata ga Mawaru", "Everybody Say Yeah!", "Hōkago 1H", "Hi-Hi-Hi", "GIRLism", "Sayonara My Friend", "Sparkling", "Appletachi no Dengon", "Very Special", "Rock’ n Roll", "Bitter Chocolate", "Happy Collector", "Playboy" and "Koi no Kajitsu"

* Rina (11): "S.L. Magic", "Natsu Neiro", "Future", "Emotion", "Hikare", "Kimi to Yoru to Namida", "Playboy Part II", "Burn", "Tokyo Skyscraper", "One Piece", "Bright"

* Haruna (9): "Space Ranger", "Koi Moyō", "Haruka", "Love Survive", "Taiyō Scandalous", "Hitotsu dake", "Aitai", "Rock ’n Roll" and "Rising Star"

* Mami (6): "Cute!", "Want You", "Ring! Ring! Ring!", "Shōjo M", "Glamorous You" and "Queens Are Trumps"

* Scandal (13): "Tokyo", "Hoshi no Furu Yoru ni", "Koshi-Tantan", "Midnight Television", "Shining Sun", "Osaka", "Harukaze", "Shunkan Sentimental", "Scandal no Theme", "Hello! Hello!", "Yumemiru Tsubasa", "Maboroshi Night" and "So Easy"

Music (totally alone, or with the help of the other members or with some other musican):
* Rina (4): "Emotion", "Hikare", "Very Special" and "Bitter Chocolate"
* Mami (2): "Want You" and "Hikare"
* Tomomi (1): "Very Special"
* Scandal (1): "Playboy"

Last edited by sillentdx on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:35 am; edited 4 times in total

最高の夜にしようね!!
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:24 am

baymon

baymon

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
@sillentdx yeah, I know Mami can play drum as well, but I think she only started learning after guitar, cause I remember reading that she wanted to join a high school band as guitarist but they only have place for drummer. This probably around the same time as the formation of Scandal. cmiiw.

Great info, I didn't know that Playboy was composed by Scandal too. Among those which they have composed, I like Very Special and Bitter Chocolate.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:52 am

sillentdx

sillentdx

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
@baymon
She was the drummer of that band (click here) and (maybe) she would be the drummer of Scandal too if the teachers at Caless don't told her that she must bring a guitar (quote from Artist Documentary Scandal (click here): "A girl who doesn't particulary like to stand in the limelight, [...] I got a phone call saying, "Do you have a guitar?" I said, "No, I don't." I was told it would be used tomorrow and to bring one, so I borrowed one from a friend and brought it with me. I didn't really choose it or select it. kukuku")

最高の夜にしようね!!
Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:08 pm

lethaldj13

lethaldj13

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
https://www.facebook.com/RolandPada
who wrote their songs when they were going indie? someone wrote music arrangement and lyrics for them too?

please check out my channel~

i do a bunch of guitar video's as well as other things like games

https://www.youtube.com/user/lethaldj13

Does SCANDAL write their own music? - Page 2 FnJCu84

Personal blog~ check it out if you have time

https://cannedthoughtblog.wordpress.com/
Back to top Go down

Posted Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:52 pm

Lexian

Lexian

http://ask.fm/frozentheory
The lyrics for their indie songs were still written by either TOMOMI or HARUNA at the time. Music and arrangement, however, were not.

For more info:
https://www.scandal-heaven.com/t44-yah-yah-yah-hello-scandal-album-lyrics#48

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:34 pm

lethaldj13

lethaldj13

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Lexian wrote:The lyrics for their indie songs were still written by either TOMOMI or HARUNA at the time. Music and arrangement, however, were not.

For more info:
https://www.scandal-heaven.com/t44-yah-yah-yah-hello-scandal-album-lyrics#48

really? even indie days? wow im surprised! now im curious to hear what the instruments sounds like when they make their own sounds. its totally different if someone else makes the music for them to play.

know any song they played musically and lyrically written by them?

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:52 pm

bad-apple

bad-apple

International Performer
International Performer
^ refer to sillentdx's post above, before baymon's post.

"For us, the band is more like "life" to us than it is a "job." We're wonderful friends who are sharing life that only happens once." -Rina
Does SCANDAL write their own music? - Page 2 Zd1XFwZ
Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:00 pm

lethaldj13

lethaldj13

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
hapihapi wrote:^ refer to sillentdx's post above, before baymon's post.
thanks!

slipped that post sorry

hmmm seems like they are as good or better than the music writer because they dont sound too far apart. 

hoping in the future music and lyrics to be all written by members only! those song listed there sound really great altho all other songs are good too~

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:22 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
lethaldj13 wrote:know any song they played musically and lyrically written by them?

Refer to this thread:

https://www.scandal-heaven.com/t10545-songwriting-credits#664191

Does SCANDAL write their own music? - Page 2 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:03 am

SoulSnatcher911

SoulSnatcher911

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
thoseguiltyeyes wrote:

I suggest that this thread should be pin and update for every new album so that no one will start a thread that is repetitive in nature. Happy

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:20 pm

Lexian

Lexian

http://ask.fm/frozentheory
SoulSnatcher911 wrote:
thoseguiltyeyes wrote:

I suggest that this thread should be pin and update for every new album so that no one will start a thread that is repetitive in nature. Happy

It's already pinned under the SCANDAL Info Index.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:02 pm

ricjonsu099

ricjonsu099

Caless Student
Caless Student
they always write their lyrics, but i think other musician puts a tune on them(songs) Happy

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:01 pm

CarlGW

Caless Student
Caless Student
They used to write a lot of the lyrics, but not much of the music.  Now they write a lot more of the music, too.  I think Mami has perhaps been the most successful in terms of the songs charting. She wrote the lyrics and music for Image, Departure and Stamp, for example. She and Rina collaborated on Sisters, with Rina writing the lyrics and Mami the music.  I think this is a good trend for them and hope to see them writing more of their own music.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:38 pm

truefan

truefan

Caless Student
Caless Student
MAMI wrote many songs beginning at Hello World album. I think she is now the main song-writer of the band. And I believe that the band is mature now so that they can totally make and play their own music.

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:50 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
Now that the original question "Does SCANDAL write their own music?" has been answered time and time again (and the answer is yes, they do), I think it's time to close this thread.

Again, here is the list of songs the band themselves have written thus far:

https://www.scandal-heaven.com/t10545-songwriting-credits#664191

Does SCANDAL write their own music? - Page 2 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2024 SCANDAL HEAVEN.