thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (10 votes)

Rolling Stone Special Issue: 10th Anniversary of SCANDAL

Rolling Stone Special Issue - Summer 2015 GBtTCii

They have already announced an arena tour spanning from the end of the year to the beginning of next year. SCANDAL, who continue to grow with great vigor, released their first new single, 「Stamp!」, in eight months. The heat around them just continues to rise, but these 4 girls have no pretentiousness in them. With their natural stances, you can feel their flexibility of being in harmony with their generation. In particular, their world tour that spanned the first half of the year with performances both domestically and abroad brought a big change in the minds of the members'. This turned out to be an interview in which we were able to catch a glimpse of each of the members' "true faces" as they talked about their "current mood" from beginning to end with soft expressions on their faces.

――Although your world tour just finished, what is your current state of mind?

RINA: 「It feels great, like something was set free.」

――Is there anything in particular?

RINA: 「It was beyond what we first expected, we gained more than we anticipated, and our awareness completely changed. Although we had been going overseas before this as well, there were parts that were vague to us. By doing an overseas tour before we debuted in Japan, it made it us look more important by going overseas once a year. This time, we discovered the meaning of SCANDAL going overseas, or perhaps......」

――Being able to say that honestly must have yielded some big results.

RINA: 「Girl bands are regarded as a unique culture of Japan's. It's seen as being a bit unique, such as how anime, idols, or visual kei are appreciated abroad. But, on this tour, we felt that we were able to dispel that kind of image. We too had been in that part, but the audiences in the US and Europe didn't think of us like that this time; they came out to our tour and said that they genuinely like our music. It turned into a tour on which we took hold of new possibilities and confidence.」

――I see. What do the other members think?

TOMOMI: 「On our past overseas tours we would interweave popular songs and anime theme songs into our set list while performing as "SCANDAL for overseas crowds." However, on this tour, we showed our true selves and had the crowds listening to our true music. Because it was tour on which we carried along our naturally-created album 『HELLO WORLD』, we received true feelings from that and gained much confidence.」

HARUNA: 「By adding on performances, the significance--or rather a sense of responsibility of us continuing as a band was born.」

「Our hopes of wanting to go to even more countries to play lives have gotten stronger.」

――Where does your motivation come from?

HARUNA: 「We're often asked, "Do you often compare places overseas to Japan?" From the start, each country differs from each other. We know that the concept of comparing itself differs. The attitudes of the audience watching lives also completely differs. This was the first time we went to Mexico and the audience was enthusiastic. They would be chanting "Ole, ole ole" like they were watching soccer, even when we would be drinking water in between songs. In London, where we performed at a famous local live house, there were many fans in the front row, but on the second floor there were guys who were live house regulars who were sitting in chairs and drinking alcohol while taking it easy and watching our show. The atmospheres that we couldn't have experienced if we had only performed lives in Japan has been very interesting.」

――That's what you want to experience as an artist. Music also varies, doesn't it?

HARUNA: 「When you try to actually experience something, you'll see that your outlook broadens. We want to show this worldwide part of ourselves to the people in Japan as well. For example, even if we had created songs while being conscious of those overseas, the part of us that's 'SCANDAL' wouldn't change. Because of that, it'd be wonderful if that would be accepted as par for the course by Japanese people.」

――It feels like bands like SCANDAL are maturing the Japanese music market. It'll become a standard if young people come to love SCANDAL's music. I think that's a very good thing.

RINA: 「I think J-POP is a mix of Japanese culture and overseas culture. People overseas are accepting Japanese rock and Japanese pop. It's given a reputation when it's evaluated abroad and reimported back to Japan. I think Japanese music is appropriately being seen as "cool" overseas too.」

MAMI: 「Personally, this was a tour that let me be able to trust myself as a songwriter, as well as for the band.」

「"Departure" was overwhelmingly popular and was loved in Europe and the US. The four seasons of Japan are in this song, and we sing about minds and scenery that can only be seen by those who are in Japan. The melody has a Japanese style to it, and many people have said that they like that part. It really moved me to learn that the words and sounds that were born within me are cherished by others.」

――I see. If you stop getting on to scenes and compete with what you originally want to do, it'll be properly recognized.

RINA: 「Yes, almost enough to think "This is where we're starting from."」

――How did you get your name "SCANDAL" in the first place?

TOMOMI: 「We decided on it really fast because we had a live the next day and we couldn't not have a band name.」

HARUNA: 「When we were first starting out, there was a studio we practiced at and attended inside of a multi-tenant building. There are nothing but adult shops in that building, but, on that day, we talked about picking [a name] from the adult shop ones (laughs).」

――The name of one of the adult shops is "SCANDAL"?

HARUNA: 「Yes. Back then it was the biggest sign on that building (laughs).」

RINA: 「We felt its impact subconsciously.」

――Next August will be your 10th anniversary. "SCANDAL" is a strong band name with an impact, but did you ever think that you would do outrageous things from the beginning?

RINA: 「We thought it was a great name and named ourselves that, but we never thought of being a 'naughty' band.」

――It seems that, no matter what, girl bands have an impression of being seen as warm-up acts. SCANDAL has an image of attached to it of starting from an idol-like band with dance school roots. I'd like to know the process as to how you progressed from that point into artists.

RINA: 「It seems like that because we debuted wearing school uniforms. However, it's not like we thought we'd be seen as idols by wearing school uniforms; we truly did go to practice wearing school uniforms.」

――I see. When you debuted, all of you were either middle or high school students.

RINA: 「Correct. The 4 of us talked about how it'd be better to be realistic and go on stage without changing our image. We went shopping together and bought and wore matching clothes that we liked.」

――It was an extension of your private life.

RINA: 「We thought it couldn't be helped if we were seen as being idol-like. Because we didn't write songs for ourselves, we had a weakness there and chagrin as well. However, we love those songs even now. It's because we had confidence during those times. But, after we started writing songs ourselves, we felt more free. We might have been able to transform in coming across the joy and happiness of music.」

――But it's not like you're able to transform by simply taking a leap (laughs).

HARUNA: 「I think it's an accumulation of things. We stopped wearing school uniforms when all of us passed the age of 20, so it was a natural evolution. We all talked about how 『There's no need to wear school uniforms as adults; we'll wear outfits that match how we are at the time.』 Starting to write music wasn't planned; thinking of wanting to try writing our own songs was natural for us because we wanted to continue being a band. We've been getting older and have been doing what we want to do little by little. As as result, putting out a single with songs written by us and then thinking of wanting to release an album solely with songs that we've written was something very simple for us.」

RINA: 「In order to depict the band's style, songs we play, and the realities of the era, we can't do it unless we transform ourselves.」

「I think that way of changing is natural.」

MAMI: 「In relation to songs, we're here now because we had a past. When we had songs written for us, we saw what the arranger was doing at the studio and saw them creating an ambiance/space; I feel like we were making full use of our five senses and learning everything. I think that's exactly why we were able to make a smooth transition when we starting making songs ourselves.」

RINA: 「There are some parts influenced by our past songs. Like, "That chord in that song's D-melody is good; let's put it in there." We rip off our own songs (laughs).」

――That's an interesting concept. You're taking advantage of something that wasn't original in the first place.

MAMI: 「We use that quite a bit (laughs).」

RINA: 「Keita Kawaguchi [a songwriter who has done arrangements for SCANDAL songs such as "Shunkan Sentimental"] has been making music for a long time. Our talks have turned into, "If it was him, he would do this; if it was us, we would do this."」

TOMOMI: 「It feels like MAMI has inherited Mr. Kawaguchi's passion.」

――Listening to 「Stamp!」, which released on 7/22, the first guitar sounds are very powerful. It's natural, but you can't do something like that in a hurry. I don't mean that it's technique. For example, if you put out an article, there's a difference between a well-written one and a persuasive one. What I mean is that that was cultivated at lives, was it?

RINA: 「This could be a misleading way of saying it, but we don't work hard at doing it.」

MAMI: 「In addition, for example, the members fiddle around however they like with the songs that I make. We now have a style that's like, 『I like that; this is good』, and the song is completed that way.」

RINA: 「We play around as we do it.」

――That's the best.

TOMOMI: 「That's exactly why "Stamp!" has a fresh sound to it.」

「We felt so free on our world tour that started in the beginning of the year. Because we created a song while we still had that feeling, that freshness might have taken in power like that.」

――I see. Freshness, you say?

TOMOMI: 「Once this song has been out for a year, I think it's sure to have a different impression. We may play it with a completely different sound. The theme we'll have from here on is to make the most real feelings of ours into songs. We won't put it rest.」

RINA: 「Fundamentally, we want to make albums that put a smile on your face. We don't want to play inner rock; we want to play happy rock.」

――Happy rock, is it? That sounds good.

TOMOMI: 「The words "happy rock" were said when we were being interviewed overseas. The four of us were touched by those words. They're really nice words, aren't they? We're going to have it used in Japan too (laughs).」

――That's a new genre.

HARUNA: 「Since we originally created music with those feelings, I don't believe that our stance on that will ever change.」

――Is there hardly anything that you don't like right now?

RINA: 「There are things. We're only human (laughs).」

――Could you tell us as much as we can write about?

RINA: 「When I'm feeling stressed or frustrated, it's when I can't communicate my feelings well. I get angry with myself at those times. To prevent that from happening, I always think of how I can express my current feelings or scenes at those times. I'm constantly working on putting the thoughts in my head into words. But, depending on the conditions, there are also days where I can't draw out the words well. I become straightforward on those days.」

――During those times, what do you do for a change of pace?

RINA: 「I talk with the members. When it's difficult for me to say it directly, I use [the messaging app] LINE.」

――Do you use stamps too?

RINA: 「I do. But they're not the same stamps as the song (laughs).」

MAMI: 「It's not a personal seal.」

RINA: 「In a sense of taking a step, the feeling that we're proceeding one step at a time and the feeling that our listeners are proceeding one step at a time each day are linked together, and that's interesting.」

This was part 1/2. Part 2/2 will be posted in a little bit.

Also, I've been noticing that people have been borrowing our translations and posting them elsewhere/translating them into other languages. That's fine, but if you do decide to do so, please remember to give credit to SH for the original translation! Happy

#front-page

Rolling Stone Special Issue - Summer 2015 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Re: Rolling Stone Special Issue - Summer 2015
Posted Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:05 am

macdyne73

macdyne73

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
Thanks Jade. Great work.

It's always nice to see/read a band do a "proper" interview and talk about things like their process and other things related to being in a band.

On another note, it's really, really nice to see the girls always thinking about what they are doing and what it means, and that they are not sitting on their laurels. Here's to ten more years! *raisesglass

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:47 am

Railgun

Railgun

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Thanks!

I'm happy I was able to read it finally xD A really decent interview:)

Impatiently waiting for the 2nd part!  Nice one

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:01 pm

Yuffie

Yuffie

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
macdyne73 wrote:It's always nice to see/read a band do a "proper" interview and talk about things like their process and other things related to being in a band.
Exactly!Happy This is indeed a very interesting music interview (this a Rolling Stones magazine after all) and I agree with the term "happy rock"; it describes well the music genre of SCANDAL!
I am looking forward to read the next part, thanks Jade!

On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:57 pm

saldiven

saldiven

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
@Jade: If you're concerned about unaccredited use of your translations, consider putting the translations onto a picture file instead of text, and put a watermark on the picture that includes the translator info. That way, someone can't merely highlight, copy, and paste the translation. Instead, they have to copy the picture file as a whole, and editing out the watermark is probably more of a hassle than most would bother with.

But, again, great translation. We all appreciate your hard work.

Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:06 pm

sillentdx

sillentdx

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Anybody known who told them first that they play "happy rock"?

最高の夜にしようね!!
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:30 pm

darksider59

darksider59

International Performer
International Performer
@saldiven
It could be a solution but maybe one more thing to do for Jade before publishing the translations (and I think it takes already a long time). Maybe changing the permissions for visitors (can't see the blog translations/interviews for example). For sure it will not stop people to use them if they are registered members but maybe they use the same usernames here and where they share it.

Anyway, thank you for the translation, great interview Nice one

Rolling Stone Special Issue - Summer 2015 MUW2SyY
Back to top Go down

Posted Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:28 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
saldiven wrote:If you're concerned about unaccredited use of your translations, consider putting the translations onto a picture file instead of text, and put a watermark on the picture that includes the translator info. That way, someone can't merely highlight, copy, and paste the translation. Instead, they have to copy the picture file as a whole, and editing out the watermark is probably more of a hassle than most would bother with.

I'm not that concerned as to do something like that, haha. Also, it would be easy, albeit a hassle, for someone to just manually type out the text themselves if they really wanted to. I honestly think it's great if people are interested enough in my translations that they want to repost them elsewhere. But, giving a little credit where it's due would be greatly appreciated. Happy

darksider59 wrote:Maybe changing the permissions for visitors (can't see the blog translations/interviews for example). For sure it will not stop people to use them if they are registered members but maybe they use the same usernames here and where they share it.

Actually, SH was sort of like that before, but we made most of the forum public with the new homepage so that not only users but non-users as well can see and hopefully benefit from our content. As I said earlier, just giving a little credit where it's due would be greatly appreciated. Happy

Rolling Stone Special Issue - Summer 2015 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:47 am

strix04

strix04

Caless Student
Caless Student
Me too! I'm waiting for the part 2 of the interview. It seems they've really grown so much from performers to artists, even they could become composers and producers themselves.

I believe they've gone past that 'band-idol' image even though many fans still sees them like that. They've become artists which really does great contribution to the music industry. They may have been wearing matching outfits in their live performances and PV's but I think it's not forced by the company like what idols would be. I do think they chose it on their own as what Haru stated above.

The only thing that I am hoping for is that they'll become legends!

Last edited by thoseguiltyeyes on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please don't double post. Instead, edit your first post if you wish to add something.)

Rolling Stone Special Issue - Summer 2015 Tumblr_nv7bf8q8cz1ro4xe8o6_r1_540
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:17 pm

flyingwill

flyingwill

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://rateyourmusic.com/~flyingwill
What a great interview, thanks for the translation, can't wait to read the second part. It really does confirm my feeling that we've only just begun to see (and hear) what they are truly capable of, which is saying a lot considering all the great things they've already achieved so far! They are so amazing, and it's a bless to be able to witness their evolution.

Back to top Go down

Posted Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:35 am

Tenkenkid

Tenkenkid

Caless Student
Caless Student
Thanks for this! Very good interview and looking forward to part 2! .hora.

Rolling Stone Special Issue - Summer 2015 Sig10

I'll repaint reality with the ideals I imagined
A new start is always kicking off
Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2024 SCANDAL HEAVEN.