You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Mami FTW!

Mami FTW!

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
Yes WaffleDino, you shouldn't apologise, as you are doing all the hard, hard work :workhard: and you should have the liberty of getting it exactly right even if you could not post. The process appears to be really tedious but really, GOOD LUCK Thumbs Onion on painting the guitar just as Mami's HSS Fender Strat.

On a lighter note, i was thinking if you would know how i could get a guitar painted exactly like that by a custom shop in Sydney? No problem at all if you cannot reply! I understand Onion Smile

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 38602712
I Love you, MAMI!! LOVE
Back to top Go down
sealion

sealion

Caless Student
Caless Student
WOW O.o how do you know how to do all this stuff? .stars.

Back to top Go down
WaffleDino

WaffleDino

Caless Student
Caless Student
Mami FTW! wrote:Yes WaffleDino, you shouldn't apologise, as you are doing all the hard, hard work :workhard: and you should have the liberty of getting it exactly right even if you could not post. The process appears to be really tedious but really, GOOD LUCK Thumbs Onion on painting the guitar just as Mami's HSS Fender Strat.

On a lighter note, i was thinking if you would know how i could get a guitar painted exactly like that by a custom shop in Sydney? No problem at all if you cannot reply! I understand Onion Smile

Are you bringing a guitar in from Pakistan when you come to Australia? The two main reasons why I'm doing this myself is that:
  • It's really hard to find somewhere that does custom art
  • If you do manage to find someone, it'll cost a fortune, we're talking $500 at least.

It's also because most "painters" I guess are more experienced in painting stuff like car parts, machinery and stuff like buildings. So when it comes to painting a guitar, it's like a completely different animal, there are certain methods you NEED to follow to paint a guitar. Not many people know how to paint guitars.
I also think that customising a guitar is very fun and I feel that in the long run, this might be my favourite guitar, even more than the Ibanez .love.

sealion wrote:WOW O.o how do you know how to do all this stuff? .stars.
I spent a LOT of time reading forums and watching videos. I've also made many mistakes along the way. I really DON'T know all this stuff. I'm just really good at following procedures.

Please check out my ongoing project: Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model"
IT'S GOING TO LOOK AWESOME!!!

SYDNEYSIDER/UNSW
Back to top Go down
WaffleDino

WaffleDino

Caless Student
Caless Student
Hey everyone!

Can I say that I am SUPER, MEGA, EXTREMELY EXCITED?!

Mami swirls are under way! .clap.

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 20130112

I've printed out the templates and tried getting it as close to the original as possible. Then I taped down the large spots and very lightly glued the inside pieces and the tiny spots.

It was hard getting the right kind of red because the paint I bought was very close to a blood red while I was aiming for a dark red with a slight orange blend. The paint is actually very runny so I couldn't just simply get a blob of this, a blob of that, and smash it together.

I actually went to the kitchen and emptied one of my food colouring droppers and used that to mix the paint in a basin haha.

All in all, I mixed the red I needed, went off to paint and maybe gotten a little high from the fumes .stars.

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 20130113

Once again, I need to wait for it to dry so I can apply additional coats.

I think everyone, myself included, has been waiting for this part for a very long time and I'm very happy and proud to say that WE MADE IT GUYS!! .hora.

For me it's really like having colour television after living my whole life with black and white haha

SYDNEYSIDER/UNSW
Back to top Go down
WaffleDino

WaffleDino

Caless Student
Caless Student
Hey! Sorry about double (triple) posting but I have some pictures for you!

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 20130114
It was actually a LOT messier. Some of the paper got stuck to the guitar. Some areas of the glue pulled away the black paint, it was a nightmare. I fixed it up as best as I could.

A HUGE NOTE. DON'T STICK THE TEMPLATE TO THE GUITAR .fustrated.

I decided to stick on some hardware to see how the guitar would look. It's the old bridge and neck with the new pickguard.

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 20130115

It all looks nice in the photos but when you actually hold it and look at it, you'll notice all the mistakes. Hopefully the other swirls turn out well.

EDIT: Got some more photos!
[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 20130126_133333_zpsda765b9a
[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 20130126_133353_zpsb89c8f2a
[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 20130126_145811_zpsfc7ccec3

I'm not particularly happy about how the red and yellow turned out but the GREEN was perfect!

SYDNEYSIDER/UNSW
Back to top Go down
TanyaLilac

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://scandalbaby.wordpress.com
iirc ... MAMI went to a surf shop or something. :/ Or I may have made that up.

Looking awesome~! (and I just realised that's what your signature says.)

Read (pre-debut) SCANDAL blog translations at Scandal Baby on Wordpress or Livejournal

Translations on SCANDAL HEAVEN:
SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
GIRLS BE SCANDALOUS Artist Book: Long Interview | Photo Archives & Interview Archives
BABY ACTION Magazine Edition: Album Interview | SCANDAL Girl's Love Talk & Conversation
Back to top Go down
GeoFreak

GeoFreak

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Pretty good so far! Can you go back and fix the edges of the circles with a small brush or something?

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 2_crop10
Back to top Go down
WaffleDino

WaffleDino

Caless Student
Caless Student
GeoFreak wrote:Pretty good so far! Can you go back and fix the edges of the circles with a small brush or something?

Yeah, I've been working the edges with a small brush but it's still hard to get nice round edges.
At the same time I like how it isn't "perfect" because I guess it'll remind me that it's "mine"? I don't know haha.

SYDNEYSIDER/UNSW
Back to top Go down
WaffleDino

WaffleDino

Caless Student
Caless Student
I'M ALMOST DONE! .clap.

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 20130116

Still a bit messy. I want to get orange over and done with and then to a complete touch up with the black.

SYDNEYSIDER/UNSW
Back to top Go down
Jibba

Jibba

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
https://www.youtube.com/user/xJibba?feature=mhee
That's looking pretty awesome! Nearly there .clap.

Back to top Go down
babaloued

babaloued

International Performer
International Performer
Can't wait final result [PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 450165

SCANDAL live 

2012.07.16 - バンドやろうよ!vol.3
2012.08.21 - Canal City Hakata
2014.06.28/29 - ARENA FESTIVAL DAY 1&2

2014.08.05 - RIJF 2014
2015.04.25/26/30 - HW TOUR 2015
2015.10.21 - TIMM
2016.09.10/17/20/21/24/25 - YELLOW in EUROPE 2016
Live! 
Back to top Go down
WaffleDino

WaffleDino

Caless Student
Caless Student
Hey everyone!

Today holds a different kind of update. I can honestly say that the postman is one of my most favourite people. He just brings me presents all the time hehe.

I received a package this morning from the US. Because of this, I already knew what was going to be inside...
[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 20130125_102841_zpsbc198137

First thing that was inside were the tuners that I had ordered.
Gotoh 6-side chrome tuners.
[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 20130129_212042_zps51811e70

BUT, what comes next is what really excites me.

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 20130129_211702_zpsff2fe945
[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 20130129_211711_zps5c3425a2

GLORIOUS FENDER! .wow.

I mentioned before that I had this neck custom made and ordered so for the guitar enthusiasts, I'll put up the specs here and the reasons why I ordered what I did.

• The neck is made of Canadian Hard Rock Maple, or just Hard Maple. This is one of the most traditional Fender neck woods. Obviously I chose maple because it's the same material as the Mami Strat but the benefits of maple is that it is dense and strong. It provides a bright and glassy tone.
  • The fretboard is also made of the same Hard Maple.
  • The nut width is 1 5/8". I chose this because it is the smallest nut width. This nut width is very comfortable for players with small hands and for rhythm playing. Although I have "large" hands, I think having a small nut width will make playing even easier.
  • A modern C neck profile. I chose this because I already own an Ibanez with a Wizard II neck, super thin. I played a U shape, aka the baseball bat neck and found it too chunky so I stepped it down and settled for the modern C. Modern C's are comfortably oval and works well for any playing style. It is also used on many Strats and Teles.
  • A 9.5" radius. The radius of the neck determines how "round" the fretboard is. If you look closely, your guitar fretboard isn't 180 degrees flat, it's curved to accomodate the natural ergonomic shape of your fingers. The smaller the radius, the rounder the curve. The 9.5" radius is used on newer Fender necks. To give you an idea of radiuses, Gibson uses a 10-11" radius, Ibanez uses a 12" radius and Jacksons use a 16" radius, super flat!
  • 22 frets. Self explanatory
  • 6100 size frets, aka super jumbo! This is the kind of stuff they use on Ibanez necks. I chose this because my Ibanez neck has 6100 fret wire and I absolutely love it. I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Nitro satin finish.

SYDNEYSIDER/UNSW
Back to top Go down
WaffleDino

WaffleDino

Caless Student
Caless Student
Hey guys, Just a mock up for today to see how it all looks together. I'm still waiting for the Fender bridge to arrive so hopefully it won't be much longer. That is the body with the new neck and pickguard but old bridge.

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 25949_10200247506411934_1008231550_n

From this point I need to do a few things.

• Touch up with black gloss
  • Retouch the colours as best as I can
  • Seal the body with gloss.

SYDNEYSIDER/UNSW
Back to top Go down
mafu

mafu

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
look at that hard work Nice one

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 Tumblr_mr97hwrHlQ1qibdaao1_500
~are you virgin? kill the virgin~

Back to top Go down
WaffleDino

WaffleDino

Caless Student
Caless Student
Hey, I realised that in the few most recent posts, I haven't been keeping up with the parts and total costs.

Items purchased to date:
  • Stratocaster body. $50.00
  • 1L Septone paint stripper. $20.00
  • Duct tape. $4.00
  • Wet & Dry sandpaper x2. $2.60 ($1.30 each)
  • Air Spray Gun. $35.00
  • 125mL pot of Grey primer. $5.00
  • 125mL pot of Black paint. $5.00
  • 1L Mineral Turpentine. $4.90
  • 3-ply BWB pickguard. $7.00
  • Black pickup covers and knobs. $3.50
  • Electronics. $15.00
  • 5 colours of paint at $4.00 each. $20.00
  • Black and white paint at $7.00 each. $14.00
  • 3 paintbrush set. $5.00
  • Custom made Fender licensed neck. $200.00
  • Gotoh tuners. $50.00

Total cost to date:
$441.00

SYDNEYSIDER/UNSW
Back to top Go down
SasazakiMami

SasazakiMami

Caless Student
Caless Student
Good job Wink
I wish I had a guitar like Mami's...
Yours is REALLY well done Thumbs Onion

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 SBFJ7zA
Back to top Go down
FreeFall

FreeFall

International Performer
International Performer
Looking forward to the final result! I'm sure it's gonna be awesome! Good job~

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 Timooverflow

TIMO OVERFLOW!!

Back to top Go down
CruzeRBladE

CruzeRBladE

Caless Student
Caless Student
bro... you make me cry .toj.
totally worth the hard work man...
worth every dollar too...
it's a really wonderful job you have done Nice one
and i'm waiting for the final result :D

now... i wish i could do something to my gibson / epiphone sg bass copy...
Spoiler:

Onion Love Onion Shy Happy Onion
Back to top Go down
WaffleDino

WaffleDino

Caless Student
Caless Student
Hey guys!

I'm very happy but also a little sad to say that this project is almost over. I just need to put a final gloss coat to seal in the Mami swirls and I'm pretty much finished.
At the same time I don't want this project to end because it's given me so much to do over this university break and I just "found myself at peace" working so intimately with a guitar and transforming it into something I really love.

At this point I've drilled the holes into the neck base so I can bolt it onto the body. I've done a final mock-up before I seal the body.

In the photo you'll see the body of course, the custom-made Fender neck, new scratchplate and knobs and the Fender Vintage Tremolo which arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon.
The parts missing in the photo are the machine heads, the strings and the pickups.

The black pickup covers actually DON'T fit on the old pickups so it looks like buying new pickups is necessary, preferably with black covers as well.

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 32146_10200264148467975_1234413679_n

SYDNEYSIDER/UNSW
Back to top Go down
WaffleDino

WaffleDino

Caless Student
Caless Student
CruzeRBladE wrote:bro... you make me cry .toj.
totally worth the hard work man...
worth every dollar too...
it's a really wonderful job you have done Nice one
and i'm waiting for the final result :D

now... i wish i could do something to my gibson / epiphone sg bass copy...
Spoiler:

I can help you out when it comes to parts and maybe the painting process too. It's why I created this thread to sort of give people a view from the inside on how and what a guitar goes through when it's being customised.

For me at least, I think it's easier shown rather than explained in blocks of text. If you can see what is happening and "hear" from a "real" person on what you have to go through then I believe that way, it's a lot easier to understand. If you have any questions just ask away Nice one

SYDNEYSIDER/UNSW
Back to top Go down
CruzeRBladE

CruzeRBladE

Caless Student
Caless Student
i guess i'd just put it in a spoiler
Spoiler:
@off-topic
so i guess... i guess a lot. and if i earn a dollar for everytime i type or say the word guess... i guess i'm rich. .rich.

Onion Love Onion Shy Happy Onion
Back to top Go down
Mewithoutyou93

Mewithoutyou93

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
https://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab328/discopix-14/img09112423
Great job Waffle! Happy

Back to top Go down
FreeFall

FreeFall

International Performer
International Performer
Wow! It's really wonderful!

[PROJECT] Fender Stratocaster SSS "Mami Model" - Page 2 Timooverflow

TIMO OVERFLOW!!

Back to top Go down
WaffleDino

WaffleDino

Caless Student
Caless Student
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

CruzeRBladE wrote:i guess i'd just put it in a spoiler
Spoiler:
@off-topic
so i guess... i guess a lot. and if i earn a dollar for everytime i type or say the word guess... i guess i'm rich. .rich.

When it comes to painting wooden furniture and painting a guitar, there will be some similarities between the two, the obvious one being they are both handling woods.
Honestly, that only really matters when you are applying the base coats for the paint (in my case, the black base coat for the Mami Strat). After you've finished your base coat it doesn't matter what paint you use on top of it. As long as you seal it all in the end, your paint will be protected.

Budget will always be an issue. To be honest, I could only afford all of this because I was working at a high-end department store (David Jones for you Australians) over this Christmas Holidays. They paid REALLY well there so the $500 or so Australian dollars spent on this project was no problem.

I think it is a good idea to know what you want to buy before you start anything. That way you can set yourself a budget and you can work smoothly through the project. It would suck to have to postpone your project because you can't afford more paints for example.

With all copy guitars, it is very likely that they will use parts which aren't the same size as official parts. For example, I have NEVER seen a Tune-o-matic/Gibson-style hardtail bridge on a bass, as shown in your picture. And the shape of that pickguard as well (not such a big deal). It is a lot harder to find parts like these compared to the official ones. If you remember one of my very early posts, something like on Page 1, I wanted a guitar EXACT like a Strat, not only so it looks like a real strat but also so that I could put brand new, easy to find parts on it.

And to answer your question (a legitimate question by the way), you could do this any way you want. It all comes together in the end anyway.
But I would say to have your parts ready before you paint. Many reasons:

• Your parts may not fit
  • You'll be waiting for a while for your parts to come in after painting is done
  • I think having the parts ready motivates you to finish the painting haha

For me, I purchased my parts first and I was painting while the parts were on their way to my house. So by the time I finished painting, the parts were at my doorstep.

EDIT: It turns out that there are lots of Tune-o-matic style bridges for bass, my apologies. I'm only experienced with Fender and Ibanez basses. If you're set on repainting and upgrading your bass it would be a good idea to bring your bass with you to a guitar shop and compare the parts between yours and the legit Gibson basses. That way you can see if the parts will fit or not and also to try them out if even like the parts or not.

SYDNEYSIDER/UNSW
Back to top Go down
TanyaLilac

TanyaLilac

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
http://scandalbaby.wordpress.com
That's one gorgeous guitar. Congratulations~!!!

Still my favourite guitar of MAMI's, second only to the White Falcon lol (for obvious reasons...)

Read (pre-debut) SCANDAL blog translations at Scandal Baby on Wordpress or Livejournal

Translations on SCANDAL HEAVEN:
SCANDAL SHOW Interviews
GIRLS BE SCANDALOUS Artist Book: Long Interview | Photo Archives & Interview Archives
BABY ACTION Magazine Edition: Album Interview | SCANDAL Girl's Love Talk & Conversation
Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum