Go down

MAMI'S GEAR [Page 5 of 8]

Re: MAMI'S GEAR
Posted Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:42 am

gt.ch

gt.ch

Caless Student
Caless Student
fishmcdippers wrote:I have a LBMP as well.  Alone, it's very bassy, with very little high end...kinda muddy even with the tone dimed.  Though after a little experimentation with another pedal I have (Boss DS-1), I was able to get a similar tone to what it sounds like in Awanai Tsumori No Genki De Ne and Image.  Here's my signal chain:

Stratocaster HH (Bridge HB, Volume 5-6, Tone 10) --> DS-1 (Tone 3:00, Distortion 9:00, Level 12:00) --> LBMP (Volume 10:30, Tone 3:00, Sustain 10:30) --> Orange Crush 12 Amp (Volume & EQ 12:00, Overdrive OFF, Gain 9:00)

You can use any low gain dirt pedal to boost the LBMP.  You just need to dial in a tone you like on that booster first, then adjust the LBMP to get close to what Mami's chain sounds like.  Experiment with settings on both.  That's what I did.  And the bonus is that with just the DS-1, I can get a nice mild crunch/overdrive similar to Haruna's sound in the 1st verse of Departure.

Also IIRC, Dave Gilmour, the Pink Floyd guitarist and one of the most famous Big Muff users, also used a booster before or after a Big Muff.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to figure out what Mami's signal chain is.  She's using a controller, so I bet she's got some pretty wild preset chains on there in addition to the regular on/off switches.  The only way to know is for her or her tech to provide that info.  In any case, it's cool to replicate a sound, but even cooler to come up with your own, right? Plus, anyways, you'd probably need to be rolling around in tons of money to be able to replicate her rig...

EDIT:
I was just thinking that the kind of pickup you're using will also have a big impact on the settings on your LBMP and the tone you get.  Pickup specs (magnets, poles, and wind count) contribute to the tone coming out of the guitar itself.  Most pickups have a bias toward one end of the EQ spectrum or the other.  I don't think I've seen anything that's built for flat EQ.

Nice info, thanks! It's interesting how my signal chain is almost identical to yours, I'm even using the DS-1 for cleaner crunch. o.o

I don't have enough cash to buy a booster pedal as of now (I have one, but I use it for overdrive and not boosting), but I've gotten pretty good tone for, say Syunkan Sentimental, Hon o Yomu and so on by setting sustain higher and rolling back volume. For songs like Your Song, I need to turn the volume back up for the lead guitar bits, though.

kudo_maharizu wrote:
I think you can hear MAMI's LBMP in, for example, the pre-solo riff and the solo for Runners high for one. Her crunch tones otherwise come mostly from her Marshall amps. With the complex set up she has, MAMI is likely using a combination of any effects as a patch (hence the need for her routing controller) and may explain why following the knob positions as per the photo didn't give you the tone you were expecting. Just my humble opinion. (^-^)

Oh, that's certainly the LBMP I hear there :D
Thanks for your help! Happy I wish my Marshall (a humble 15W combo solid-state) was foot-switchable like hers. :'(

Thanks Lexian for helping me shift my post. I wasn't sure if it should go under here since it was sort of linked to Mami's Gear but not that related.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, Mami's tone does seem much more like the tone I have live than in the albums, considering that the album allows SCANDAL room to adjust their tone a lot as compared to live. Tongue

Last edited by gt.ch on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updating information)

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:42 am

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
http://stomachofchaos.com
Just before things get waaay out of topic here, I was wondering if anyone is interested in a thread for best ways to get a SCANDAL guitar tone using your own gear, as I plan to make one as soon as I get some time.

We could always return to this thread(s) for reference, but use the separate tone thread for members to discuss how they tweak their effects and amps to get the desired tone. You will be surprised that you can recreate anything with some creativity without buying the exact same gear!

I'll edit this post with the link to the thread once I set it up.

MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 SCANDALCOLLE-2020-SIG

~ CHECK OUT MY 「感謝祭」ŌSAKA 2018 VIDEO! 見てください!  ~

16-17/3/13 *SCAPE Warehouse | SIN • 29/1/15 たましんRISURUホール | 立川市、日本 • 31/1/15 ベイシア文化ホール | 前橋市、日本 • 26/4/15 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 12-13/1/16 日本武道館 | 東京、日本 • 10/9/16 Melkweg | AMS • 17/9/16 Szene | WIEN • 24/9/16 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 10/6/18 MacPherson Stadium | HK • 10-11/11/18 ZEPP Ōsaka Bayside | 大阪、日本
Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:45 am

Lexian

Lexian

http://ask.fm/frozentheory
@kudo_maharizu:

Great idea! I can definitely see a tone thread as a nice branch off from the gear ones. There's a bit of an information overload over here anyway xD

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:13 am

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
Lexian wrote:@kudo_maharizu:

Great idea! I can definitely see a tone thread as a nice branch off from the gear ones. There's a bit of an information overload over here anyway xD

Where shall I place the thread - Members' Discussion?

16-17/3/13 *SCAPE Warehouse | SIN • 29/1/15 たましんRISURUホール | 立川市、日本 • 31/1/15 ベイシア文化ホール | 前橋市、日本 • 26/4/15 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 12-13/1/16 日本武道館 | 東京、日本 • 10/9/16 Melkweg | AMS • 17/9/16 Szene | WIEN • 24/9/16 O2 Academy Islington | UK • 10/6/18 MacPherson Stadium | HK • 10-11/11/18 ZEPP Ōsaka Bayside | 大阪、日本
Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:22 am

Lexian

Lexian

You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

SCANDAL Talk or the Musician's Lounge (https://www.scandal-heaven.com/f35-musician-s-lounge) would be great places, I think. SCA-Talk would probably get more traffic of course Happy It's helping musicians sound like SCANDAL or even comparing their actual changes in setups/sound, rather than the physical gear.

Either way, take your pick! Happy

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:48 am

gt.ch

gt.ch

Caless Student
Caless Student
kudo_maharizu wrote:Just before things get waaay out of topic here, I was wondering if anyone is interested in a thread for best ways to get a SCANDAL guitar tone using your own gear, as I plan to make one as soon as I get some time.

We could always return to this thread(s) for reference, but use the separate tone thread for members to discuss how they tweak their effects and amps to get the desired tone. You will be surprised that you can recreate anything with some creativity without buying the exact same gear!

I'll edit this post with the link to the thread once I set it up.

Yes, I'm sorry, that's a great idea! I was worried about going off topic which is why I posted a new topic at first.

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:52 am

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
You thanked this post! -

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:00 pm

Lexian

Lexian

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:59 pm

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
You thanked this post! -

Great job with updating the LP Standard photos.

I've got one minor thing to add - you know the bit on the Italia Maranello? ESP is only the distributor for Italia guitars in Japan. Italia is an actual guitar company from Italy - http://italiaguitars.com/intro/intro.html, and not a line of guitars made by ESP, unlike Navigator, Grass Roots, Edwards or LTD.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:11 pm

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
MAMI's set up for their recent arena tour:

MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 TSiaW9cb MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 RDBsWMtb MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 2UVKaSzb MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 SUfvnw2b

Effects:
-BOSS TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
-XOTIC Custom Shop BBP-MB
-Rockett Pedals ARCHER Ikon
-BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah
-Creation Audio Labs MK.4.23
-ZVEX Vexter Fuzz Factory
-Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi
-ZVEX Fuzz Probe
-ZVEX Vexter Wah Probe
-Free The Tone Audio Routing Controller ARC-3
-Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Wah
-DigiTech Whammy 5

-EVENTIDE TimeFactor
-CUSTOM AUDIO JAPAN AC/DC Station Ver.2
-BOSS FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
-Xotic EP Booster
-BOSS OC-3 Super Octave
-LINE6 MM-4 Modulation Modeler
-Peterson StroboFlip VS-F Virtual Strobe Tuner

https://www.facebook.com/HookUpInc/posts/782273508571103

MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:27 pm

fishmcdippers

fishmcdippers

Caless Student
Caless Student
Looks like both Mami and Haruna have jumped on the Klone train.  I've got a "Klone" of my own, the EHX Soul Food, that I love.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:42 pm

dobondo

dobondo

Caless Student
Caless Student
http://dobondo.tumblr.com
She can't get enough Fuzz .balloon.

MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 5Oj6OpF
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:16 pm

fishmcdippers

fishmcdippers

Caless Student
Caless Student
Hi.  I thought it might be cool to add info extra accessories (since strings and picks are listed).  I discovered that her strat's guitar strap (white leather with black quarter and eight notes) is made by Perri's Leathers.  The model # is BMN-1253.

It looks like she also uses Fender 2" Monogrammed Guitar Straps like on some of her other guitars (both jazzmasters), like Haruna and Tomomi use on several of their instruments as well.  It looks like the strap on her LP is a plain premium white leather strap and the one on her Gretsch is a purple fuzzy one.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:11 pm

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
fishmcdippers wrote:It looks like the strap on her LP is a plain premium white leather strap and the one on her Gretsch is a purple fuzzy one.

I've been trying to figure out for a long time now the make of the white leather strap on her Les Paul. At first I thought it was a Levy's strap (the shape of the brown ?logo) but on looking through the Levy's catalogue, the logo isn't really like what it is on MAMI's strap.

MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 Vlcsnap-2016-03-04-20h06m38s937_zps8ifd2nmu

Which begs the question - what brand is it? Any ideas?

Last edited by kudo_maharizu on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Posted Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:00 am

fishmcdippers

fishmcdippers

Caless Student
Caless Student
Here's better shots...still have no idea though...  MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 8CBD876E-7DBA-478A-989A-37A061C8F462_zpsns5kpkza
MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 XDUSvk4

Back to top Go down

YELLOW - In the studio
Posted Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:40 pm

kudo_maharizu

kudo_maharizu

International Performer
International Performer
The main SCANDAL article in the April 2016 issue of GiGS described the gear used in the recording of YELLOW. If you've read the translated Natalie.mu interview with MAMI, she alluded to the guitars having a less processed tone by tweaking the amps as opposed to using stomp boxes. About time too!

MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 Yellow_studio-MAMIES335_zpswqnorbhm

Interestingly, they rented various gear to create a richer and organic tone, which included these two guitars MAMI used in recording LOVE - a black 1973 Fender Strat and a sunburst Gibson ES-335.

MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 Yellow_studio-MAMI73strat_zpsumpacsao

MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 Yellow_studio-MAMIES335_2_zpsgu35cxqy

MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 Yellowgtr_ampMAMI_zpsshoxzxt4

Amp-wise, MAMI used a 1980 Marshall 1959 100W head (on LOVE) and a Diezel VH-4 100W head (on SUKI-SUKI).

MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 Yellow_ampMAMI_2_zps1ljicmgf

For the eagle-eyed ampspotter,  this Marshall head was meant for the USA market due to the three toggle switches on the front panel as opposed to the usual two.

She also used a Mesa Triple Rec Solo head (we've seen her use one for the recording of HELLO WORLD) and a Bogner Ecstasy head.

MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 Yellow_ampMAMI_zpsz9u5aqk6

I wish I could read kanji to say more about this article!

Last edited by kudo_maharizu on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 06, 2016 4:55 am

apparentlygood12

apparentlygood12

Caless Student
Caless Student
Guys, has anyone noticed the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster that Mami uses from time to time?
Its possible debut appearance was in the Taiyou Scandalous video. Here are the pics Look at the right for the second picMAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 9k=MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 16493340_130527_2103_56

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 06, 2016 5:05 am

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
apparentlygood12 wrote:Guys, has anyone noticed the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster that Mami uses from time to time?

Yes Happy

But I personally have not seen her use it other than in the Taiyou Scandalous video that I recall. Where have you seen her use it otherwise? I admit I may have lost a few memory cells in my youth, so I may be forgetting something.

I assumed it was just a stylistic choice for that video. They are all playing white guitars, which they normally don't (other than Mami's White Falcon). When Mami plays this song live now, she uses her blue Les Paul.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 06, 2016 5:13 am

apparentlygood12

apparentlygood12

Caless Student
Caless Student
I can't remember but I did see her use it in gigs on the internet. If I only can remember what video is it exactly... Sad

I think I saw it in one of the Hello World tour videos.

Last edited by thoseguiltyeyes on Fri May 06, 2016 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Merged posts. Please don't double post + edit your first post if you wish to add something.)

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 06, 2016 5:25 am

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
apparentlygood12 wrote:I can't remember but I did see her use it in gigs on the internet. If I only can remember what video is it exactly... Sad

I think I saw it in one of the Hello World tour videos.

You seem to actually be thinking of her signature Squier Jazzmaster, because that's what she used in the HELLO WORLD tour footage of "Kan Biiru" and "Oyasumi" on the Stamp! LE B DVD edition. Aside from that guitar, she also can be seen using her black Strat, White Falcon, and blue Les Paul in the rest of the footage, meaning that her TaiScan Jazzmaster does not make an appearance.

She couldn't have ever played the TaiScan Jazzmaster outside of the PV because, shortly after shooting the video, they all signed the instruments used in the video and they've been on display at various places such as instrument shops since then.

For example:

MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 Dtgxrt9
MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 PJ0tGFc
https://www.scandal-heaven.com/t6267-scandal-shop-in-harajuku-7-20-12-8-31-12#397021
MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 LxoORE5
https://twitter.com/kaishindo_aeont/status/611780628019712001

MAMI'S GEAR - Page 5 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 06, 2016 8:39 am

apparentlygood12

apparentlygood12

Caless Student
Caless Student
Oh.... Mind blowing...  .dies.

Thanks for the info mate. I never knew they would end up as display instruments, since I have this theory that majority of Scandal instruments usually are from their live rig or end up as part of it.
But seriously, the resemblance with Mami's JM and J Mascis's JM are almost identical.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 06, 2016 3:14 pm

spacecadet

spacecadet

Mainstream Artist
Mainstream Artist
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com
apparentlygood12 wrote:I have this theory that majority of Scandal instruments usually are from their live rig or end up as part of it.

Well the majority are, but sometimes they do one-off stuff just for a video or photo shoot. Even Mami's own signature Jazzmaster that she's pictured with sometimes is not always the actual guitar she plays, it's a prop.

But seriously, the resemblance with Mami's JM and J Mascis's JM are almost identical.

I could see how a person might think that from afar; I mean pickguards can be changed, headstocks painted and decals added. Her black Strat originally was a plain black Strat with white plastic bits, for example. But they are different up close.

Interestingly, she basically never plays her signature JM anymore either. Not once in the Perfect World live DVD, and long shows like that are usually where they do the most instrument changes.

Back to top Go down

Posted Fri May 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Lexian

Lexian

spacecadet wrote:
apparentlygood12 wrote:I have this theory that majority of Scandal instruments usually are from their live rig or end up as part of it.

Well the majority are, but sometimes they do one-off stuff just for a video or photo shoot. Even Mami's own signature Jazzmaster that she's pictured with sometimes is not always the actual guitar she plays, it's a prop.
Makes me remember the Squiers from the Shojo S PV that were smashed to bits some time after.

Back to top Go down

Posted Tue May 10, 2016 3:03 pm

apparentlygood12

apparentlygood12

Caless Student
Caless Student
Must've been my childhood. Now as a teenager I looked more closely which I forgoto to add up on my previous post. Oh well....

Back to top Go down

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:09 pm

deathclown

Caless Student
Caless Student
can you really buy the mami jazzmaster pearl white model ? ive seen it in ebay and amazon but i really want to find a legit/trusted dealer for that

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

© 2009-2024 SCANDAL HEAVEN.